WIPY on ESP32-WROOM Procedure

• Re: [SOLVED] WiPy firmware to a standard WROOM-32?

OK, I have succeeded with this, here's how to do it:

1. Setup Build Environment, I created a bash script (OSX/LINUX) to do this, you should run it line by line and be sure to add the paths to XTENSA and the IDF:

https://github.com/pacmac/micropython-share/blob/master/wipy-wroom/wipy-wroom.sh

2. Modify pycom-micropython-sigfox/esp32/boards/WIPY/pins.csv and remove any pins (GPIO) that are not on your device.

Renumber the Pins so that there are no gaps, the default WIPY is 24 pins (P0 to P23) however the esp32 wroom dev board I have does not have pins 37 & 38, so they have to be removed, it is renumbered P0 to P25 (26 pins) as this board has more I/O than the WIPY2 board.

First Column is the expansion board G# number, second is the GPIO# and the third is the P# Number. I have set the first column to be the same as the GPIO# so that I can call a pin using a the GPIO number i.e. Pin('0') instead of Pin('P2') as the P# is only applicable to the layout of the WIPY board.

Here's the board this is based on, but there are many clones of this that are pretty much the same:

http://www.electrodragon.com/product/esp32-devkitc/

And here's the modified pins file:
      https://github.com/pacmac/micropython-share/blob/master/wipy-wroom/pins.csv

3. Make (build) the Binaries:
      make BOARD=WIPY -j5 TARGET=boot
      make BOARD=WIPY -j5 TARGET=app

4. Erase & flash the device using your USB Port & dio flash mode:
      make BOARD=WIPY -j5 erase ESPPORT=/dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART
      make BOARD=WIPY -j5 flash ESPPORT=/dev/tty.SLAB_USBtoUART ESPFLASHMODE=dio

And that should be it, took a few hours to figure it out, thanks so much to everyone in the original post who contributed.

It is also possible to create a combined firmware.bin file that you can use to upload to the device using pytool.py instead of using the development environment.

• Pybytes Beta

• Pybytes Beta

@crankshaft
    In fact, I don't have p20.
    In addition, I found that the pins.c files generated by the compilation process are not consistent with the pins.csv I defined.
    {
    Create build/WIPY/release/pins.c
    CC build/WIPY/release/pins.c
    }
    Please check your files.

• @jack - look at my note # 3:

"Renumber the Pins so that there are no gaps,"

The error message you received tells you the problem: "PIN_MODULE_P20' undeclared here"

You have not declared P20, you must renumber the pins, see my example pins.csv

• Pybytes Beta

@jack
    This is the content of the pins.csv file:
    0_1497542366375_upload-b95ebc08-2e28-4f74-be3e-3410cdc9e9ea G36 GPIO36 P36
    G39 GPIO39 P39
    G34 GPIO34 P34
    G35 GPIO35 P35
    G32 GPIO32 P32
    G33 GPIO33 P33
    G25 GPIO25 P25
    G26 GPIO26 P26
    G27 GPIO27 P27
    G14 GPIO14 P14
    G12 GPIO12 P12
    G13 GPIO13 P13
    G9 GPIO9 P9
    G10 GPIO10 P10
    G11 GPIO11 P11
    G6 GPIO6 P6
    G7 GPIO7 P7
    G8 GPIO8 P8
    G15 GPIO15 P15
    G2 GPIO2 P2
    G0 GPIO0 P0
    G4 GPIO4 P4
    G16 GPIO16 P16
    G17 GPIO17 P17
    G5 GPIO5 P5
    G18 GPIO18 P18
    G19 GPIO19 P19
    G21 GPIO21 P21
    G3 GPIO3 P3
    G1 GPIO1 P1
    G22 GPIO22 P22
    G23 GPIO23 P23

• Pybytes Beta

@crankshaft
    Can you help me?
    When I modify the pins.csv file, the compiler error:

mods/pybadc.c:68:85: error: 'PIN_MODULE_P20' undeclared here (not in a function)
    {.pin = &PIN_MODULE_P20, .channel = ADC1_CHANNEL_5, .enabled = false},
    ^
    CC mods/pybdac.c
    ../py/mkrules.mk:47: recipe for target 'build/WIPY/release/mods/pybadc.o' failed
    make: *** [build/WIPY/release/mods/pybadc.o] Error 1

• @jack - Check that you have setup the SYSTEM PATHS to xtensa and pycom-esp-idf correctly.

• @jack - I think that the first columns is an alias, can be anything you want, I just renamed mine to be the same as the gpio id, the second column is the gpio and the 3rd is the wipy P number.

• Pybytes Beta

When i excute “make BOARD=WIPY -j4 TARGET=boot”
    export error "make: *** No rule to make target 'GNUmakefile'。"

• Pybytes Beta

I wonder how it should be configured?--pins.csv
    What does each column mean?

• Thanks for writing this up! Hopefully, it'll be useful to the community!

Thanks! :)

Pycom on Twitter