New firmware release 1.7.5.b2

• Hello,

A new firmware release is out. The version is 1.7.5.b2. Here's the change log:

esp32: Implement LoRa set_battery_level method.

esp32: Implement LoRa ischannel_free method.

esp32: Fix HW I2C writeto_mem method.

In order to get the new firmware it, please user the updater tool that can be downloaded from here: https://www.pycom.io/downloads/

Cheers,
    Daniel

• This post is deleted!

• @ssmith said in New firmware release 1.7.5.b2:

When updating FW breaks what was previously working, that is a huge issue.

Especially if a breaking change is not listed in any changelog, as far as I can tell :)

• @livius Thank you for posting the issue so quickly. That kept me from a much bigger hole when I saw you mention it. I am chasing some other WiFi issue right now that may be related to this update but not sure yet..

• @ssmith
    This was only hint. I understand you completly i am also affected.
    But fortunately, I have a series of unit tests, although in this case, the test was shrouded at very beginning ;-)

• @livius There's a difference between using these devices on my desk as a developer and using them in a completed product. I can make anything work as a developer. Making it work as a product is a completely different situation. I don't have the luxury of connecting a USB cable to products that are packaged up in an enclosure. I have to work with the tools available in that situation. The system was designed to allow anything to be updated (except FW which is a different issue that needs to be addressed) remotely over the internet. In order to do that, the internet needs to work. When updating FW breaks what was previously working, that is a huge issue.

• @ssmith
    As hint. You can work without downgrade
    You must connect to wipy/lopy... by UART and send from hand

from network import WLAN
    wlan = WLAN(mode=WLAN.AP, ssid='wipy-test')

then you can connect to board normally by ftp and change your config

problematic but work

• @daniel
    Previously ssid was equal to system default like wipy-wlan-a8be if not specified.

• @daniel It may have been a bug but it was how the product worked. Now all SW has to be changed that relied on this 'bug'.

• @livius the fact that it was optional before was a bug. If the module is going to be setup as an AP, the SSID must be specified.

• @ssmith what do you mean by saying that your units are bricked? What part has broken backwards incompatibility?

• This is completely unacceptable for a company at the stage of pycom. You cannot do an update that breaks backward compatibility without serious thought and warnings that updating to this version can brick every unit you touch. This is the kind of behavior that forces me to look for other vendors for my products. Now that I have 25 bricks on my desk, how can I downgrade the FW to version 1.7.4?

• This post is deleted!

• @daniel
    Hi is there something changed in the init of Wifi AP?
    now my working previously code

wlan = WLAN(mode=WLAN.STA_AP)

give me an error:
    ValueError: AP SSID not given

UPDATE
    i see that now it is not optional

wlan = WLAN(mode=WLAN.STA_AP,ssid='wipy-pytrack')

and i see in sources

if (mode != WIFI_MODE_STA) {
     -        wlan_setup_ap (ssid, ssid_len, auth, key, key_len, channel, add_mac);		 

and now

+        if (ssid == NULL) {
     +            nlr_raise(mp_obj_new_exception_msg(&mp_type_ValueError, "AP SSID not given"));
     +        }
     +        if (auth == WIFI_AUTH_WPA2_ENTERPRISE) {
     +            nlr_raise(mp_obj_new_exception_msg(&mp_type_ValueError, "WPA2_ENT not supported in AP mode"));
     +        }
     +        wlan_setup_ap (ssid, auth, key, channel, add_mac);
          }		      }

Pycom on Twitter