LoPy broke? Does strange things on startup. Deep sleep no longer works...

• I think my LoPy is broken. It was running for 48 hours without problems (sending a payload to a TTN gateway every minute) and all of a sudden it stopped sending. After investigating, I think something just 'broke'. I refreshed the latest firmware, and even running a simple print("Hello World!") example results in this:

0_1511298606024_Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 22.05.52.png

What the hell are those strange characters after doing machine.reset()? (This behaviour is with deep sleep shield or without, it makes no difference)

Also deep sleep no longer works in combination with the deep sleep shield. I tested 2 deep sleep shields, LoPy does not wake up anymore...

Just trying deep sleep now gives me this result:
    0_1511299865464_Screen Shot 2017-11-21 at 22.29.34.png

• @xykon Ok, thanks. Downgrading LoPy did the trick, but I still find it very strange that a working setup stops working due to a code problem after +70 hours of normal behavior and no longer starts working even after factory resetting, flashing the latest firmware again and starting again with the exact python project code and firmware...

So what should I do next? Wait for a new LoPy firmware when the problem with get_wake_status is resolved? Can I follow some GitHub repository or just follow the forum here on this?

• administrators

@meirssv said in LoPy broke? Does strange things on startup. Deep sleep no longer works...:

What the hell are those strange characters after doing machine.reset()? (This behaviour is with deep sleep shield or without, it makes no difference)
    Also deep sleep no longer works in combination with the deep sleep shield. I tested 2 deep sleep shields, LoPy does not wake up anymore...
    Just trying deep sleep now gives me this result:

These are the questions you asked. I responded to them.

• @xykon

The LoPy was running the latest version, and it was running fine for more then 8000 payloads to my TTN gateway. Then it just stopped while lying on the desk. (I wasn't even around)

So how can this be related to that 'problem with the get_wake_status' you are talking about? I don't get it...

• @xykon The strange characters are actually the usual output after reset, but just sent with a baud rate of 57600. So that's nothing to be concerned about.

• administrators

Those strange characters are a known issue in the current firmware. They appear after a machine.reset() but not if the reset button is used.

There is a problem with the get_wake_status and I will investigate this further. The go_to_sleep() function should however work as expected.

You can downgrade to the previous stable version using these firmware files: * 1.9.2.b2: SiPy, LoPy 868, LoPy 915, WiPy 2 and the downgrade instructions found here

Pycom on Twitter