fypi/pytrack firmaware update fails

• Hello all.
    i have just received my brand new fipy multipack with a pytrack expansion board. I am following the procedure described in "Support" -> "Getting Started". When it comes to section 1.3.1, the firmware update tool fails with the error "Something failed trying to connect to the device".
    I have already updated the firmware on the pytrack.
    I am using linux and I am running the ./update as sudo.
    Obvioulsy, I have properly coonected the modules.
    The only thing I haven't done is connecting a jumper cable between G23 and GND...simply because (it is too difficult and risky without proper tools, and) that should be done automatically by the pytrack, as explained in the tutorial https://docs.pycom.io/chapter/gettingstarted/installation/firmwaretool.html#second

Is it possible that the fipy is damaged?? (when I plug it, the fipy's led blinks once every ~5sec). This tutorial is the first thing I am trying to do with this brand new kit, so in that case it has came broken.

Please, any help will be appreciated!!!

• administrators

@gnm Glad to hear it finally worked :) I hope the rest of the getting-started experience will be smoother but don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything further.

• @Xykon
    sudo python lopyupdate.py
    seems to have worked with the last package!
    Tks

• administrators

@gnm I released a new firmware update tool earlier today. Please download the latest linux version and try running the ./update or python lopyupdate.py scripts again. They should be able to communicate with your board now.

If you're still experiencing issues with this new version then please let me know.

• Hi @Xykon, I tryed again, obtaining the following response:

Product ID: 19 HW Version: 3 FW Version: 0.0.8
    Connecting.....
    Uploading stub...
    Running stub...
    Stub running...
    WMAC=<removed by admin>

Could you tell me what output should I expect?

P/D: Here are some specifications of my Linux distribution:
    Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
    Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7
    Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena

• administrators

@gnm Please try this new package: [LINK NO LONGER AVAILABLE]

• administrators

OK I found the issue in the update script... I will check how to fix it and then upload a new beta version.

• administrators

@gnm Thanks... it means that generally you can talk to the board and it responds well. I have removed your MAC address just in case.

What kind of Linux system are you using? We also have a GUI firmware update tool (launched via [sudo] python lopyupdate.py) however it has some dependencies (see README inside the download package).

I will check the Linux dialog update script again in case there is anything wrong with it.

I am also in the process of building Linux versions that pack all the dependencies into a single package, but these need to be custom built for custom distributions. So if you can tell me which type of Linux you are using that would be really helpful. Please also specify it you're using a 32 or 64 bit Linux.

• @xykon said in fypi/pytrack firmaware update fails:

[sudo] python bin/updater.py -p <com port> -v wmac

Hi guys. Thanks a lot for your help and sugestions.

I have tryed the new package and I obtained the following response:

Product ID: 19 HW Version: 3 FW Version: 0.0.8
    Connecting........_
    Uploading stub...
    Running stub...
    Stub running...
    WMAC=<removed by admin>

I don't know if that si correct, but at least it didn't throught any error message...I will continue with the "Getting Started" and I am sure I will find out it the firmware was correctly updated

• administrators

@gnm I have also uploaded a new firmware updater package... with this version it should no longer be required to run pypic.py manually.

The download link is: [LINK NO LONGER AVAILABLE]

After you download this, instead of running the above command please just run [sudo] python bin/updater.py -p <com port> -v wmac

You can get a list of available com ports with [sudo] python bin/updater.py list

• administrators

@gnm After running [sudo] python bin/pypic.py -p <com port> --enter can you please run [sudo] python bin/updater.py -p <com port> wmac?

I also 2nd the suggestion to try a different USB cable... preferably as short and thick as possible.

• @gnm please try different USB cables and ports. I had a similar issue and only one out of the 5 USB cables that I had worked! It was quite shocking but yes, cables can cause trouble. And also remember to press the button beside the led just before upgrading the firmware. I managed to upgrade the PyTrack and the GPy firmware after trying for about 2 hours :)

• @xykon said in fypi/pytrack firmaware update fails:

[sudo] python bin/pypic.py -p <com port> --enter

Hi @Xykon. I have tried it but I still get the same error. However, I have noticed that the LED stops blinking after the execution of
    [sudo] python bin/pypic.py -p <com port> --enter
    and it starts blinking again after
    [sudo] python bin/pypic.py -p <com port> --exit

I don't know what to do...except for connecting a jumper between G23 and GND, but as I have explained earlier, it seems meaningless and risky

• administrators

@gnm The Pytrack & Pysense need a manual workaround to enter / exit programming mode when using the dialog based update script... before running ./update please run [sudo] python bin/pypic.py -p <com port> --enter and after the upgrade please run [sudo] python bin/pypic.py -p <com port> --exit

I will release a new firmware update tool shortly (hopefully before the end of the day) that will do this automatically.

Pycom on Twitter