How to get IMEI for FiPy modules?

• How to get IMEI for FiPy modules?

• thank you for the suggestions.
    I am running the FiPy on a breadboard, I uploaded the firmware using a ttl serial adapter (RX/TX, PWR 3.3v) I removed the RX/TX connections (as they are 3.3v) and bumped it to 5v for pwr and everything is working now.

it may have been the power source insufficient to run both WIFI and LTE radios simultaneously or it could have been the RX/TX connections to the ttl serial.
    either way it is working now, thank you for the help.

• @david-johnson are you using the wifi to connect to the device when/while you try and interface with the LTE library? As someone else posted that having the wifi connected can cause issues. If you have been doing that, try connecting directly via serial/usb, commenting out all the wifi stuff on bootup and just try and load the LTE library up without anything else running - just to eliminate other sources of interference.

• If you are using an expansion board try removing the CTS and RTS jumpers and see if that fixes the issue

• How are you powering the board? Are you using a decent usb cable and power source? I wonder if that command wakes up the radio and the current draw browns out the power momentarily causing it to freeze. Try a heavy guage USB cable, or shorter one.. and a decent power source. I have no idea if this is a realistic theory...just a wild guess

• @tmcolby yes, I have updated the firmware several times successfully.

I have antennas installed on wifi and lte sma's and a sim installed.

• Do you have the latest firmware installed?
    v1.17.0.b1

• ****@tmcolby said in How to get IMEI for FiPy modules?:

from network import LTE
    lte = LTE()
    lte.send_at_cmd('AT+CGSN=1')
    '\r\n+CGSN: "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"\r\n\r\nOK\r\n'

when I try to do this with my FiPy my device freezes at the line "lte = LTE()"
    it eventually times out.

(my boot.py has the following code to init wifi access which allows me to connect to my local AP)

import machine
    from network import WLAN
    wlan = WLAN() # get current object, without changing the mode

if machine.reset_cause() != machine.SOFT_RESET:
    wlan.init(mode=WLAN.STA)
    # configuration below MUST match your home router settings!!
    wlan.ifconfig(config=('192.168.1.199', '255.255.255.0', '192.168.1.1', '8.8.8.8'))

if not wlan.isconnected():
    # change the line below to match your network ssid, security and password
    wlan.connect('whizpop-2G', auth=(WLAN.WPA2, 'xxxxxxxx'), timeout=5000)
    while not wlan.isconnected():
    machine.idle() # save power while waiting

any ideas?****

• https://forum.pycom.io/topic/2734/new-firmware-release-v1-17-0-b1-completely-new-lte-class

The new firmware with the LTE class is out.

>>> from network import LTE
    >>> lte = LTE()
    >>> lte.send_at_cmd('AT+CGSN=1')
    '\r\n+CGSN: "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"\r\n\r\nOK\r\n'

The IMEI will be xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Jose ,
    Can you provide time line on when you going to release firmware that will work with LTE and allow reading IMEI?

• According to my understanding from a response I got from Jose at Pycom, there will be a firmware release that will give you access to the IMEI number. I don't believe the firmware has been released yet. I am anxiously awaiting this as well.

There will be a simple lte.imei() call to get the IMEI number.

Pycom on Twitter