LOPY in case running on battery

• I'm new to LOPY world. I would like to know what is required to get LOPY to run on battery and what sort of battery / connector I need so I can order all the parts I need at the same time.

Do I need to connect LOPY to the expansion board or to PyTrack and then connect that a battery to power LOPY?
    Or can I connect some type of battery directly to LOPY?
    What sort of battery will I need?

• @thr If you are using Pytrack, connect the battery to the dedicated battery connector on Pytrack.

• @robert-hh said in LOPY in case running on battery:

You can also connect a LiPo battery directly to Vin/GND of the module. The only thing to consider is not to exceed 5.5V at Vin.

If I wanted to also do this as well as using the PyTrack as mentioned above, how do I go about it?
    Is it simply a matter of attaching a LiPo battery direclty to the Vin/GND?
    Do I need something else? An adapter or power regulator?

• @thr said in LOPY in case running on battery:

I can attach a LiPo battery to the PyTrack and then attach the PyTrack to the USB port of my PC and it will slowly charge up the LiPo until I unplug it form USB computer / power?

Yes, you can charge the LiPo battery through the USB port, either using the PC or any other USB power adapter.

• Thanks. All.
    Think I'll buy a LOPY with the PyTrack and IP67 Case for Pysense/Pytrack. That way I can use the Pytrack to program and connect to a LiPo battery!

@robert-hh said in LOPY in case running on battery:

Pytrack has a battery charger on board and the USB/Serial bridge to suuport programming and firmware update.

Pardon the newbe question, but does that mean I can attach a LiPo battery to the PyTrack and then attach the PyTrack to the USB port of my PC and it will slowly charge up the LiPo until I unplug it form USB computer / power?
    Or do I need to buy something like this also: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1904

• @thr You can use the pytrack shield for both battery connection and programming. Pytrack has a battery charger on board and the USB/Serial bridge to suuport programming and firmware update.

• Thank you very much @robert-hh

The only thing to consider is not to exceed 5.5V at Vin.

Will I need some sort of battery management or regulator for this? Or do the batteries provide this?

LiPo battery, connected to the expansion board

Can I use the PyTrack? And separately, can I use the PyTrack to program LOPY (thereby avoiding buying the expansion board)?

• any 1-cell LiPo 3.7V battery (with needed capacity) should be OK
    • JST 2-pin connector with 2.0mm raster
    • Expansion Board 2.0 / Pysense / Pytrack has built-in LiPo battery charger

Also look here

• Hi,

Adafruit sell many compatible batteries: https://www.adafruit.com/category/889

Just be careful when purchasing from other suppliers that the battery polarity is correct. I have had to swap the connector polarity on many batteries with JST-PH connectors in order to use them with Pycom products.

• @thr The most conevient is a rechargable LiPo battery, connected to the expansion board. Theer are plenty available with the matching connector. Go for capacities of at least 1000 mAh. You can also connect a LiPo battery directly to Vin/GND of the module. The only thing to consider is not to exceed 5.5V at Vin.

Pycom on Twitter