Does LoRaWAN officially support the Nano Gateway concept?

• Guys, I've been using a nano gateway to The Things Network (TTN) while learning about LoRaWAN.

My question is: Does LoRaWAN officially support the Nano Gateway concept?

The only documentation I can find on nano gateways is from Pycom or TTN. I'm concerned that using a nano gateway, and in particular locking down channels to one frequency, will "break" LoRaWAN. By that I mean, I wonder if other people's LoRaWAN devices will try to connect to my nano gateway and fail because it's not a properly configured gateway. If so, maybe they're unable to connect to a real gateway that may be further away.

Thanks for any pointers to documentation/specifications that would conclusively answer this!

• Chris

• LoRaWAN is using a non-licensed shared frequency band. As long as you meet local regulations, e.g. in Europe max. 1% transmit duty cycle, do not exceed transmit power and bandwidth limits you are safe. It is not about LoRaWAN it is about local radio regulations. These rules are the same for single and 'normal' multi channel GW's.

• @prawnhead A gateway does not advertise its presence, it passively waits for join requests.

As long as your gateway/network does not accept join requests for devices it doesn't know (which it shouldn't, and probably can't, as it doesn't have the relevant ids and keys), it can't disturb those devices (beyond the fact you're sharing the airwaves with other devices and gateways of course).

• No it doesn't. The correct question is

"Is single channel GW LoRaWAN compliant?"

The answer is NO.

Pycom on Twitter