Windows 10 : "Can't connect to this network"

• Hello to all,

I am writing to enquire some help about a windows 10 issue. I have in possession 1 LoPy and 2 computers. In my project, i am trying to communicate with my LoPy with both computers in the same time. I was able to connect without any problems. Unfortunately when I log the computers into the LoPy's wifi access point, their IP adress is set randomely (well, 192.168.4.2 for the first one and then 192.168.4.3 for the next one). Moreover, in the future I might used more computers.

Both of these computers need to collect some specific datas from this LoPy. But I need to fix and set a static IP address to these computers in order to stabilize the system that I am making. That is why I tried, via windows' control panel, to set a static IP address on one of my computers to "192.168.4.2". The method I used to do it is based on this tutorial :

https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-windows-10.htm

( I wrote 192.168.4.1 and 8.8.8.8 for the DNS server).

Unfortunately, it didn't work and this computer doesn't connect anymore to the LoPy (the other computer is shuted down). I get this message :
    https://forum.pycom.io/assets/uploads/files/1509219015578-cannot-connect.png

I abandonned the static IP and put back the settings to "Obtain an IP address automatically" on windows' control panel but it still doesn't connect to the LoPy anymore.

I updated the LoPy's firmware : no effect
    I reinstalled the driver for my computer's network card : no effect
    I restarted the computer many times : no effect

But still, my second computer still connects perfectly to the LoPy when I try (because I didn't touch to its settings).

Could you please send me some advice for my problem ?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Best regards,

• Hi @MBK,

I don't think it's random, it's assigned by the DHCP server. It sounds like an issue with Windows, maybe it cached the settings? Have you tried resetting your network settings? I don't have access to Win10, but I tried it on my phone and Mac, but indeed I wasn't able to use static IPs. I think you'd need to set static IPs in the AP, not in the client.

Hello World?

Pylife on Kickstarter - November 2018

Back Us On Kickstarter >

Pycom on Twitter