Backer Update #2 - PyGo Exposed... The Truth!

• administrators

Dear Awesome Backers,

What an incredible week... over 500% of target reached and still 3 weeks to go!

Thank you for your incredible support and keep spreading the word. Also, Happy Thanksgiving to our North American friends.

And now, for this week's update!

Fear not, this is not a Newspaper scoop but the fact that we have decided to make the PyGo an even more versatile device by exposing some pins! We value the continuous stream of great feedback and this decision was taken after some great feedback from members of our esteemed community.

But why would you do that, you might ask? Good question :)

The really exciting bit about it is that by exposing some pins, developers looking to physically connect THINGS to a PyGo, will now be able to easily do just that. They can use the PyGo and get additional sensors connected for their projects. And yes, before you ask, rest assured, we will be adding electrical circuit protection to ensure PyGo can have a bath and still retain its cool IP67 protection.

alt text

As of today, and you are the first to know, the PyGo now features six exposed pins: 2 for power and 4 universal inputs/outputs with digital/analogue capabilities so that you can connect different types of sensors and actuators.

We think this is a really exciting addition to an-already-flexible device!
    Finally, watch out for another update over the weekend from Bettina!

Have a great weekend!

Best wishes
    Fred and The Pycom Team

• administrators

@danielm

Hi, Great points!

There will be 2 functions:

1. Two pins will be for power and 4 pins (universal inputs/outputs with digital/analogue capabilities) so that you can connect different types of sensors and actuators.
    2. Indeed we will ensure no shorting can take place. The PyGo will in any event have such a circuitry protection built in.
      Best wishes Fred

• @Bettina @Fred

It is great that you decided to add those pins.
    What functions will the power pins be able to perform? My guess is that primary function is power supply for the host device. Can PyGo be charged through those pins as well?

Looking at the rendered image with the pins visible I have one remark. It would be good if the pins would be arranged in a pattern which will prevent making short temporary contact between PyGo's and host device pins (during PyGo insertion into host device) which are not expected to make contact if the PyGo is in fully inserted posiiton. I believe that preferred way of installation is sliding from the side. At least this was my understanding based on published photos with PyGo and Enterprise cradle.

Pycom on Twitter