Features wish list
We are creating this topic as a wish list for features. Please give us feedback on what you would like to see as part of the firmware in future releases. So far this is what we have on the list based on your requests:
- Wifi AP+STA
- Encryption of Python scripts to protect code.
bluetooth.get_adv()returns a list of all received advertisements in the FIFO instead of just one.
- Non-blocking Bluetooth API.
- BLE server (peripheral mode).
- Non-blocking options for most peripheral read/write operations (UART, SPI, I2C)
Please let us know your wishes and we'll take note of them. Thanks!
Will be good for developing to have option like save errors to flash
e.g. if we are connected to the board with UART then we can see errors like guru mediation printed.
But when we are not connected by UART we do not know what was the error message
and after reboot we lost any info
Will be good to have option e.g.
and it save errors to flash to file e.g.
But i do not know if this is simple to accomplish and if any possible?
- Encryption of login details on the module - currently I have to hard-code login details (eg. so WiFi on the LoPy can get in to my home network) in plain text. I imagine it's similar situation with any other login details on the device - unless I'm missing something? I can 1-way encrypt, but then can't use the encrypted details to log in to my wifi router.
- Remotely update modules (firmware and scripts) via internet, and also suggest a best practice blueprint for doing updates offline (eg. via USB, SD and maybe even BT?)
- Number the pins on the module and the headers on the expansion board the same - very confusing currently
Nice to have:
@daniel BLE multipoint it it MUST.
Yes, that is a very good feature.
@daniel BLE multipoint it is a MUST.
@gertjanvanhethof yes, there are plans for this.
@daniel One important feature to bring the xxPy devices to a higher enterprise ready plan is to add functionality to do firmware updates and software updates over-the-air.
Are there plans to add this?
- Enterprise WPA support
802.11X is the feature i'm really waiting for!
I've seen Wi-Fi marked as 'done' somewhere, but it is not usable in enterprise/educational environments...
For as far as I know 802.11X is supported in the ESP-IDF, so it would 'just' need to be implemented in python - right?
Thanks for steady development pace! :)
I think you are talking about 802.1x, correct?
Direct hardware access (similar to the examples on Micropython speed), i.e. the Viper code emitter or some other approach to allow high speed digital IO
Will be good to have built in DTMF generator :)
@daniel Wifi rssi() is important in IOT.
Just read that the ESP32 shall have a built in Hall effect sensor and CAN bus Interface.
We needed both of it and used external peripherals until now. Is this something on your roadmap to implement?
yes, somewhere someone wirite good point about this
i suppose that all features like wifi, blootooth, lora, ... should be disabled at start
maybe this can be achived by e.g. file existence on the flash.
if it does not exist - then all go same as is now
but if it exists then it should be parsed
Currently, WiFi is initialized at boot (WiPy 2.0) and this feature cannot be disabled to be initialized later on (in
boot.py) for example. I know it might be useful in some use cases, but it increases boot time and occupies memory and consumes battery power before we as developers get to disable it. I wish no extra features would be started before boot and we get to enable them as we wish, afterwards.
A 'read_timed' command as the one in the following link can be interesting:
This post is deleted!
@daniel Cool thanks!
Allow confirmed and unconfirmed LoRaWAN packages
This is already supported via socket options.
We are releasing new docs in around 2 hours which will show all this. We'll make an announcement shortly.
@bmarkus No, this is already supported. Use the
bind()method on a LoRa socket to select the port. For instance
s.bind(1)will select port #1 for the socket.
Some additional wishes from my side:
- Allow to specify port (FPort) for LoRaWAN packages
Is it really missing, port can't be specified per today? In such case I can't use it, as in our network ports allocated to services :(