PyMesh - LoRa mesh Gateway/Border Router

• Hello,

I have a question about the implementation of OpenThread in PyMesh.

When looking at the OpenThread documentation it says:
    "A Border Router is a device that can forward information between a Thread network and a non-Thread network (for example, Wi-Fi). It also configures a Thread network for external connectivity."

So the gateway is replaced by the border router? Or can it forward information to the gateway?

I'm asking this because with a mesh topology we can increase the coverage of LoRa, but when the gateway is not used anymore this will lead to a reduction in coverage.

• Okay this has answered my question!

Looking forward to test the border router functionality.

• hi @rfinkers,

Thanks for your interest in Pymesh.

We should not confuse LoRaWAN with Pymesh, they are different protocols over LoRa; if you like, it's like Wifi and Bluetooth they're both on 2.4Ghz (hope you got the point, probably not the best example).

Yes, the Border Router is the bridge between Pymesh and any other network (Wifi/BLE/Cellular), and a particular case is the LoRaWAN network (as device role). This is particular because both interfaces will use the same LoRa modem (the Semtech transceiver).

So, in theory, the BR could gather data from Pymesh, and send it to the LoRaWAN Gateway (like TTN Gateway). I'm saying in theory, because I didn't tested it, some mutual excluding mechanism has to be added. It's definitely on our Pymesh Roadmap.

Just to simplify, a Pymesh node can't be a LoRaWAN nano-gateway, as it can't stay whole time in RX (Class C) and accept Pymesh packages, too. At least, not now.

So, to answer your question, mesh topology extends the coverage of a LoRaWAN network. If you want, each node in mesh behaves as both a Device and a Gateway.

0_1551964981776_Pymesh_example.png

Pycom on Twitter