GPy ValueError: band 8 not supported by this board hardware!

• When i try to attach my GPy to NB-IoT band 8 in germany (1nce) with

from network import LTE
    lte = LTE()
    lte.attach(band=8, apn="iot.1nce.net")

it get the following error message on my GPy:

ValueError: band 8 not supported by this board hardware!

I upgraded my NB-IoT Modem successfully to the newest Version 41019 and the GPy has the newest stable firmware (1.18.2.r4) as well

sqnsupgrade.info()

returns:

Welcome to the SQN3330 firmware updater [1.2.5] 
    GPy with firmware version 1.18.2.r4
    Your modem is in application mode. Here is the current version:
    UE6.0.0.0
    LR6.0.0.0-41019

IMEI: ...

and

print(lte.send_at_cmd('AT!="RRC:setDbgPerm full"'))
    print(lte.send_at_cmd('at!="RRC:showcaps"'))

returns:

== CAPS config =============================
      .Lock UE on SRV band    : false
      .MFBI support           : true
      .TM8 TDD support        : false
    ============================================
    == CAPS ====================================
      . access stratum: R13
      . catM          : 1
      . nb-IoT        : 1
    -- EUTRA bands --
      . supported     : 66/28/26/25/20/19/18/17/14/13/12/8/5/4/3/2/1
      . board         : 1/2/3/4/5/8/12/13/14/17/18/19/20/25/26/28/66
      . admin         :
      . pending admin :
    -- EUTRA carriers --
      . admin         :
      . pending admin :
    ============================================

Did I miss something? According to the patch news
    "Added Check for LTE band support against both SW and HW versions of the LTE modem." (https://forum.pycom.io/topic/4630/stable-firmware-release-v1-18-2-r4)
    my GPy hard- and software should support band 8 if I am not mistaken.

Does band 8 work for anyone? Has anybody struggled with the same error message?

• @robert-hh ok, thanks a lot for your time.
    I guess i have to wait until the other two boards return and test them instead.

• @bqpd I had two FiPy boards which were exchanged by Pycom. The new firmware may report band 8 support when the hardware might not support it. The code checks for a specific modem version, and that might be wrong.

• @robert-hh Ok, thanks for your responses.

I changed to V1.20.0.r9 now, but i still get the same Error.

Do you have any other suggestions why it would throw the band 8 not supported by this board hardware! when at!="RRC:showcaps" lists band 8 as supported?

My GPy is one of the newer GPys where band 8 support should have been included by delivery (i have not sent it back to unlock it).
    One older GPy and a FiPy are on their way back to pycom at the moment.

Is your GPy one you sent back to get band 8 unlocked?

• @bqpd I use at the moment V1.20.0.r9 and Sequans firmware 41019. Since then, no tricks. I also looked up the NbIot coverage in the Jena region. It has some white spots like every place, but in general it's good.

• @robert-hh And have you upgraded your firmware to 1.18.2.r4 on the GPy and version 41019 for the Sequans modem yet?

I remember you said that it worked for you on an other thread (https://forum.pycom.io/topic/4079/fipy-nb-iot-1nce-telekom-de-germany-fails-no-band-8-support).
    I also tested your code with the older firmware and tried for 45 minutes to get a connection, but that failed in the end.
    But at least i could run the lte.attach(band=8, apn="iot.1nce.net") command back then.

Now with the newest firmware I get the error stated above when trying to attach (ValueError: band 8 not supported by this board hardware!)

• @bqpd I can confirm that band 8 works for me. The first attach took like forever (> 10 Minutes, long when you wait for it), but now it attaches after a power cycle within 10-20 seconds. Still slow compared to my other LTE module, which attaches immediately, unless it had been offline for days.

Pycom on Twitter