Powering OEM modules

• There seems to be inconsistencies in the spec sheets for the W01, L01, L04, and G01 modules regarding supply power.

They all have a section that says:
    "The x01 features an on–board voltage regulator that takes 3.5V – 5.5V from the VIN pin and regulates it to 3.3V. It is important to only use the 3.3V as an output and not try to feed 3.3V into this pin as this could damage the regulator."

None of these modules even have a Vin Pin on their schematics. So it seems that the only way to power them is through the 3.3V pin which it explicitly says not to do. Is that just a big typo?

Furthermore, the G01 is the only module to have an input power pin of 3.2-5.5V. Is this the Vin which would also power the 3.3V Pycom portion? If not, can this be powered by the same 3.3V power supply that would feed into the 3.3V pin? Also, how much current does it draw?

Clarification would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Thanks @rfinkers.

I am just trying to find a suitable regulator that will meet the requirements of the G01 as it uses cellular, wifi/ bluetooth. The current draw is not listed so I'm not sure what to go with. I think the 3.3V input on the G01 only powers the ESP32 portion, so I could power it the same as a W01 with a regulator capable of sourcing 650mA.
    However, it seems that it also requires a 5V in on the cellular portion. So it seems a separate regulator is required but there is no specification of power requirements for the that rail..

• Please, Elaborate on it.

• https://forum.pycom.io/topic/4611/l01-power-regulator

The OEM modules does not come with an power regulator.

@troy-salt said in Powering OEM modules:

So it seems that the only way to power them is through the 3.3V pin which it explicitly says not to do. Is that just a big typo?

Yes it's a big typo...

@troy-salt said in Powering OEM modules:

Also, how much current does it draw?

That's depending on your application.

Pycom on Twitter