LoPy4 purchased in Australia different than ones purchased in US?

• We have four new LoPy4s that will not communicate with an existing network consisting of LoPy4s purchased in the US.

Given the exact same settings for bandwidth, region, spread and power. Is there any reason a LoPy4 purchased in the US would not operate exactly like a LoPy4 purchased in Australia?

Here is an image of one from both sets:
    ![alt text](0143a357-b21a-4718-a520-7c2ae38926e8-image.png image url)

The four 'new' LoPy4 all communicate with each other, but not with any from our existing stock of LoPy4s.

• @jcaron

Do you really set the region explicitly in your LoRa init?

Yes, we specify the region as LoRa.US915 in the code. And we specify during the firmware updater. Our frequence is: 918910000, which is in both AU and US.

There are also differences related to SigFox zones, but I have definitely no idea ...

Me either, but we do not use SigFox .. so, I'm assuming that is not in play here.

• @caseyrodgers there is a default region code that is stored in flash. I know it is written by the firmware updater in some circumstances, not sure if it’s set before that.

My understanding is that it’s only a default and if you actually set the region in the LoRa constructor that overrides the default, but there could be exceptions.

Do you really set the region explicitly in your LoRa init?

There are also differences related to SigFox zones, but I have definitely no idea how those are managed and if that’s a pure software issue or if there are hardware differences.

• @jcaron

communicate over what?

Specifically LoRa. But, the question is a bit more general:

Should LoPy4s purchased in Australia be identical to the ones purchased in the US? There appears to be low-level differences in the RF.

Are you running the same firmware versions?

Yes, same version: 1.18.2r4

Can you share your code?

Not easily.

We have been in development for over a year, so there are legal issues.

If need be I can have the Australian devices shipped to me and I can create a test-harness. But, I'm hoping there is a clear yes/no answer before we go through that process.

• jcaron, I am the poor sod down under with the problem.
    The LoPy firmware is the same and the company application is the same.
    Same LoRa frequency, spread and power.
    Due to my contractual relationship with the client I am not have authority to share code.
    I have used a cheap SDR and have identified the RF channel frequency is the same but the modulation type i.e. spread is different.

• @caseyrodgers can you clarify: communicate over what? I suppose you mean LoRa (LoRaWAN?) but there are quite a few other options.

Are you running the same firmware versions? Can you share your code?

Pycom on Twitter