Linux OS for a new user

• Banned

Hello users,

This question may be offtopic here, but i need your kind suggestions. I am now going to reinstall an operating system in my computer.
    I had Windows 10 earlier. Now I am thinking to use Linux. I have not used it before so I have a few doubts.

Will it be difficult to use and understand Linux?
    Will Linux be faster than Winodows 10?

Thanks

• @bkdroid13 do you have any friends that already use Linux? If that's the case, chosing a distribution that they are familiar with might be the best, since they will be able to help you get going.

• @bkdroid13 There are distributions of Linux like Ubuntu or Mint which aim to make the transition from Windows smooth. And no, it is not hard to use. For both Linux variants there are live images which you can boot without removing windows. That will tell you if it runs on your machine. You can even install them side-by-side to Windows, if you like.
    Generally Linux feels faster and easier to deal with. The confusing thing with Linux is, that you have a choice of desktop managers. Nicely designed one like Gnome or Cinnamon, and fast and lightweight ones like Xfce or LXDE. The latter ones can be used if you want to re-use older computers and get a decent performance out of them. A 10 year old PC with 2 GB RAM, a 64GB+ SSD and Mint/Xfce is a pretty usable machine.
    Besides Windows, Linux is the OS with the longest support for legacy software. It is still possible to run Linux software which is 20+ years old.
    Still, moving to Linux is some work, and not every software kind available for Windows is available for Linux. Especially drivers for new hardware may be missing. But if you have a plain vanilla type of PC, it should work. And working with Pycom devices and micros is way easier with Linux than with Windows.

Pycom on Twitter