Develop using Arduino IDE/libs

• Hi!

Is it possible to develop on Wipy 3.0 using Arduino IDE/libs?

Do you confirm that I can upload firmware using a simple USB-TTL cable, by connecting GND, 5V, TX, RX, and switch P2 to GND while reseting to put it in bootloader mode?

Are RX/TX 5V tolerant?

Is the external antenna still switchable using P12 pin, without MicroPython firmware?

Thanks for you help.

• @robert-hh, thank you very much for this complete answer!

• This post is deleted!

• @fma

Is it possible to develop on Wipy 3.0 using Arduino IDE/libs?

Yes. The WIPY3 is an ESP32 board with 8 MB flash and 4 MB SPIRAM. You have to select the appropriate board type in the ARDUINO IDE (WiPy3, GPY, LoPy and LoPy4 are mentioned), together with a set of PIN names.

Do you confirm that I can upload firmware using a simple USB-TTL cable, by connecting GND, 5V, TX, RX, and switch P2 to GND while resetting to put it in bootloader mode?

You can do that. Better use a USB/UART bridge which you can set to 3.3V levels. Some of them have an independent 5V output for supplying the WIPY3.

Are RX/TX 5V tolerant?

The ESP32 does not claim 5V tolerance. If you limit the inrush current into RX with a resistor of say 10kOhm, then the RX pin will not be damaged. Whether the TX output level is sufficient, is to be determined. See my not above about a 3.3V USB/UART bridge.

Is the external antenna still switchable using P12 pin, without MicroPython firmware?

The antenna is switched by the voltage level at P12. So yes, it works with any firmware that switches P12 (GPIO21). In the WiPy3 board definition of the ESP32 Arduino package, this Pin is called ANT_SELECT.

Pycom on Twitter