Problems stopping alarm with KeyboardInterrupt

• Hello.

I am testing out a FiPy along with the Pysense board. My current test-project is about reading the value of the ADC at a given interval, using the Alarm.Timer(). That part of the code is working (see my full main below):

#
    from machine import ADC, Timer, idle
    #from pysense import Pysense
    import pycom
    import utime
    import _thread

print("Getting new readings from ADC every 10 ms!")
    data = []
    times = []

adc = ADC()
    apin = adc.channel(pin='P16')
    dataread = apin()

def adcread():
        try:
            while True:
                t1 = utime.ticks_us()
                dataread = apin()
                data.append(dataread)
                times.append(t1)
                print("Data: ")
                print(dataread)
                print("Times: ")
                print(t1)
        except KeyboardInterrupt:
            alarm.cancel()
            print("Handler stopped")

Timer.Alarm(lambda y: adcread(), ms = 10, arg = None, periodic=True)

However the KeyboardInterrupt does not let me stop the program. The REPL console does not react, and does not print the "handler stopped" message ever, when pressing Ctrl+C. I followed the documentation at https://docs.pycom.io/firmwareapi/pycom/machine/timer/, but still no success. Any help would be appreciated!

Another thing: When this code is running, i have a really hard time uploading another program to the FiPy, which otherwise would be a workaround to not being able to stop the program. Then it fails writing the individual files (lib's, boot and main). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

• @robert-hh and @andreas Thank you for the help. Yeah the last one is kinda obvious now! :)

• Dear @railmonitor,

indeed, alarm is an undefined reference. You should probably say

alarm = Timer.Alarm(...)

somewhere.

The REPL console does not react.
    When this code is running, i have a really hard time uploading another program to the FiPy [...]

While the system is under heavy load, it lacks resources to be responsive for any file upload. You might want to increase the interval ms = 10 in order to reduce pressure.

With kind regards,
    Andreas.

• Hi @robert-hh

Thanks for replying.

The firmware version is here:
    be5e91b9-9454-432f-b6f0-ab71edc3accc-image.png

So it seems my pybytes is outdated, however i did just run the firmware update tool. Is there another method for updating that i may have overlooked?

I added the 1 ms. sleep:

def adcread():
        try:
            while True:
                t1 = utime.ticks_us()
                dataread = apin()
                data.append(dataread)
                times.append(t1)
                print("Data: ")
                print(dataread)
                print("Times: ")
                print(t1)
                utime.sleep_ms(1)
        except KeyboardInterrupt:
            alarm.cancel()
            print("Handler stopped")

but it still won't let me stop the handler when program is running on the FiPy.

EDIT: I was able to stop the program by hitting the reset button, and then tapping Ctrl-C a few times. But still no print of the "Handler stopped" message. Doing this produced following output:

54245840-6eb2-40b1-8e8f-0a1f9f3d6687-image.png

• @railmonitor Which firmware are you using? Pushing Ctrl-B should show it. The PyBytes version had the habit of disabling Keyboard Interrupt.

About slow response: Busy loops like the one below have the tendency to block background tasks like FTP or Telnet. Just add a time.sleep_ms(1) to the loop. That should improve the response.

Pycom on Twitter