Pymakr... Time of Death : 09/02... ;-)

• @tholden Thanks a lot for the pointer to mpfshell - that looks perfect! All I need now for a workflow is stock Atom and mpfshell, which I can script. Really no need for any custom plugins for me.

Pete

• @Shaun : Use mpfshell fork that supports Lopy

• @bucknall said in Pymakr... Time of Death : 09/02... ;-):

We've come to the conclusion that it would be better for us to support the community by allowing you to use editors and IDE's of your own preference rather than asking you to use our own tool.

Great news ! To me, this is the way to go !

• I use UltraEdit.

I would like a tool to replace Putty and FileZilla and support firmware updating.

• Sounds good to me - to be honest I'm quite happy coding in Atom and deploying via FTP even without any plugins, but I'll give them a go when they arrive.

If complete programming beginners (a la Arduino) are in your target market then it might perhaps make sense to also provide a ready-made complete configuration (one of the above IDEs with the appropriate plugins already installed) to reduce the barrier to entry and give a standard environment to write basic tutorials against.

As I said elsewhere though - at this point I think the most urgent task has to be completeness and reliability of the modules and APIs that run on the boards themselves. We can code and deploy already using off-the-shelf tools, and the current firmware updater is adequate, but for what's on board we're totally reliant on what you guys produce. If you have developers who can do either, that's where (IMHO) you should be pointing them for now.

Pete

• I'm not entirely sure this is such good news. As a developer it was rather unlikely that I would end up using pymakr, but I did see some advantages in terms of "quickstarting" non-developer type profiles with their pycom devices. See parts of discussion about firmware upgrade via pymakr here https://forum.pycom.io/topic/627/pymkr-to-upgrade-firmware

On the bright side, I would hope that http://platformio.org/ is on the road map, I guess it would fit in with atom since plateform.io are just a bunch of plugins for atom. With multiple target devices would be the killer feature for me (edit project, save/compile to multiple devices at once).

• looking forward fo the atom one...

• Good decision in my opinion, looking forward for Sublime plugin :)

Pycom on Twitter