program doesn't dumps in G01 module

• I have made my own board for G01 module. When I tried uploading a file it is not working. it is showing error as such " Uploading project (main folder)...
    Not safe booting, disabled in settings
    Uploading to /flash...
    Upload failed.: timeout Please reboot your device manually.
    ets@ets Jun 8 2016 00:22:57" and then it continuously resets.
    what might be the problem? @drgdhorler @Ralph

• Global Moderator

The issue was fixed by a firmware update to 1.20.2.r1
    -Gijs

• Global Moderator

indeed the coredump should not happen, which makes me wonder which firmware you are running? If not, please update to 1.20.2.r1 :)
    Btw. Uploading without safeboot is possible, but not enabled by default (see Pymakr settings "safeboot before Upload"). For normal users, safebooting is more 'safe' as it disables the boot.py and main.py.
    Gijs

• @Ajay110125 Pymakr code upload requires safeboot. But the core dump should bot happen.

• @robert-hh Hi, i can disable safeboot with the settings and continue with this errror. i have attached the screen shot.
    Screenshot from 2020-10-12 17-26-34.png

• Global Moderator

I do have some Wipy1's on my desk here, but never used them :-)

Thanks for clearing that up, I will fix it in the documentation to make it more clear for everyone else as well!
    Gijs

• @Gijs

On the other part, we do have 2 firmware partitions on the device that get written to alternatively, so if you do the safeboot to 'factory firmware', it will use the other partition on boot.

Kind of: The documentation talks about three partitions. The actual, the recent and the factory partition. Using OTA the partitions alternate, as you said. So you can have only an actual and a recent partition.
    The three partition scheme was used on WiPy1, where there was indeed a factory partition, which would not be overwritten by OTA updates.

• Global Moderator

You are indeed correct, I was able to verify here that pressing Ctrl+F in the Pymakr REPL sets a safeboot flag and essentially triggers machine.reset() afterwards.

On the other part, we do have 2 firmware partitions on the device that get written to alternatively, so if you do the safeboot to 'factory firmware', it will use the other partition on boot. This partition is also used in the event of OTA firmware update.

• @Gijs As far as I learned, safeboot is an option of the module firmware. On safeboot boot.py, _main.py and main.py are not executed. There is an switch in the pycom.bootmgr() call (safeboot=True/False), even if I cannot tell a difference in the behavior. You can force safeboot by either pushing Ctrl-F at the REPL prompt or by connecting P12 to 3V3 and reset the device. There is some stuff written about it in the modules Pin-out diagram, which is AFAIK partially nonsense. At least there is no factory firmware.
    Lacking information about the expansion board(s) firmware, I cannot tell, if and how these play a role in safeboot. But being at the source of information, you could tell.
    Safe boot via Ctrl-F works a little bit unreliable on a test device here. Even if it is set via bootmgr to False, I can enforce it with Ctrl-F. But not always. Sometimes the board simply stalls and has to be revived with hard reset.
    Edit: I am using a homebrew base board with an FT232 based USB/UART bridge. No connection besides Reset, TX, RX and P2. No guessing about PIC behavior.

• Global Moderator

@robert-hh Im not exactly sure here, but I assumed safeboot was a hardware implementation on the expansionboard PIC?
    Which is why it would make sense the controller does not safeboot. You can select to disable safeboot before upload in the Pymakr options.

• @Ajay110125 With dump programs you mean: upload programs to the board.That requires safe boot, which according to the screen dump you posted seems to be disabled in the configuration. If you can run REPL in a terminal, like Putty or screen, you could try to push Ctrl-F for a safe boot. That should do a safe boot.
    If not, you have to determine what disabled safe boot. If you did not do that deliberately, a flash erase and reload of the firmware may help.

• @thinginnovations i am using "ft230xs-r" usb to uart converter and power supply is stable at3.29v. yes rx is connected to tx of the usb to uart converter and same for tx. i was able to work in interpreter method only can't able to dump the program. thanks for quick replyScreenshot from 2020-10-12 13-16-14.png

• Just a few things you can check:

How are you connecting into the new board? Are you using a USB/UART converter chip?
    Do you have the Tx/Rx round the correct way?
    Is the board powered correctly?

I have built a number of custom boards based on the L01 and G01 modules so know they work.

Regards
    Andrew

Pycom on Twitter