Update to Micropython V1.13

• I have updated to the latest firmware for my LoPy4 board (1.20.2.r3) but the Micropython version is V1.11.
    The latest Micropython version is V1.13 and it contains the 'uasyncio' module that I would like to use for my new project.

1. Is there some way to upgrade the Micropython version myself?
    2. If not then is there a roadmap for when the PyBytes firmware will include V1.13?
      Susan

• @Gijs said in Update to Micropython V1.13:

You (@David-Neumair ) are indeed correct in that we need to be more transparent about our future plans.

Gijs

Hello @Gijs , I second that!

Currently we've developed a product with pycom modules inside, and we need to add ULP feature to our end product in order to count pulses (flowmeter feature).
    We promised to our end users (in 2019-2020) that the modules would have that feature on a few months but at the moment we are waiting ULP feature to be added in pycom firmware.

The only tutorial that we found is one from @oligauc https://forum.pycom.io/topic/5337/ultra-low-power-ulp-processor-part-1 but I believe Oligauc no longer works at or with pycom. I've tested this tutorial but I don't know what to do next.

It's possible to add ULP feature? or is something pycom isn't going to implement?

Kind regards!

• @robert-hh
    As mentioned in my original post, it is the uasyncio that I'm interested in.
    I guess I'll just have to wait (I'm not skilful enough to do as David Neumair suggests!)
    Susan

• What @rcolistete mentions is correct. We only update the pycom-sigfox-micropython repo on firmware updates with the specific updates mentioned in the changelog on the forum and github.

I believe we are looking to update micropython for the new IDF 4 beta releases, which we are working on in the background!

You (@David-Neumair ) are indeed correct in that we need to be more transparent about our future plans.

Gijs

• @Susan-Mackay Micropython.org plans to have a version update every two months. Today they changed to v1.14. This means also, that on a fast version number change inflation the numbers itself do not tell a lot. You have to look into the changes instead. But still, the actual micropython.org has changes which are attractive, For instance:

• effectice uasyncio
    • refactored parser/compiler, which need much less RAM during import. Maybe not that important for devices with a lot of RAM.
    • regex pattern substitution

Many smaller changes are there too, some of the bug fixes. Hard to follow. For me it is less an issue about version numbers, but slowly growing incompatibility between micropython versions.

• @rcolistete i hope this is true but still... soon to be 2 year old codebase ... no public roadmap...
    Right now i cannot advice anyone to start a new comercial project with pycom as foundation.

• AFAIK, Pycom uses private repository to develop, so you don't see the real development work from Pycom.

• 44c23168-4e86-4ec1-ad99-048e0afbb373-image.png

... not as old as MicroPython 1.11 (released in March 2019)

if you have a look into the git repo of the firmware it just looks like pycom is either dead or just doesn't care about its codebase.
    There are basically 2 people commiting some fixes once in a while but no real development...

fb56bb27-374b-4b33-9738-ef687b489196-image.png

as for your first question:
    If you are willing to do the job pycom should be doing you could fork the repository, then import the changes from the Original
    Micropython repo (where you have to look out for code collisions with the pycom repo). Then build it and then flash it (you
    probably have to flash it with the espressif tools because the pycom firmware is probably signed)

for the second... probably never

Pycom on Twitter