LoPy Firmware updates fail on Win10

• Hi,

Last year I bought a LoPy just as it was released. Since firmware updates were rolling in regularly, I put it aside, and just this week picked it up again. I have since been trying to update the firmware in multiple ways, all failing miserably. I have succesfully updated the firmware earlier to release 0.9.2.b2, but now I am trying to go to 1.1.1.b1.

I have tried to run the Pycom firmware updater (with the jumper connected between G23 and GND), but it gives me the following message:
    0_1487859388743_printscreen2.png

I searched around, and found this message of The Things Network on updating: https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/forum/t/lopy-the-real-upgrade-guide/3923.
    When trying the steps in there, I get the following message:
    0_1487859469711_printscreen1.png.

Some more info:

• I am able to connect to the LoPy via WiFi using PyMakr 1.0.0.b8 and everything seems to work fine.
    • When I connect the LoPy expansion board to my computer with a USB cable, no extra device pops up in device manager. I installed FTDI drivers, this did not solve anything.
    • My OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be much obliged.

Kind regards,

Jakko

• @dClaus said in LoPy Firmware updates fail on Win10:

"use the RESET buttom" is not necessary for the WiPy2

Thanx! Good to know. Topic updated!

I have also the "Connecting ......... Failure !" problem with windows10 for the update of Lopy 1.4 to 1.6 !

The solution is :

• set the connection between G23 and GND,
    • connect the LoPy expansion board to the computer with a USB cable
    • !!! use the RESET buttom on the Lopy !!!
    • use the firmware updater (1.1.1.b1)

It works for me on my 2 Lopy !

Damien

"use the RESET buttom" is not necessary for the WiPy2

!!! use the RESET buttom on the Lopy !!!

Thanx! I've added this to my topic.

• I have also the "Connecting ......... Failure !" problem with windows10 for the update of Lopy 1.4 to 1.6 !

The solution is :

• set the connection between G23 and GND,
    • connect the LoPy expansion board to the computer with a USB cable
    • !!! use the RESET buttom on the Lopy !!!
    • use the firmware updater (1.1.1.b1)

It works for me on my 2 Lopy !

Damien

• I've created a new topic https://forum.pycom.io/topic/763/firmware-upgrade-troubleshooting-checklist
    I think it will be helpful for the others having similar issues.
    I don't know if place in forum hierarchy is right - if not I hope Forum Admins will do the job. ;o)

• @Jakko We're happy for your success. It's pretty regular that small mistakes sometimes make huge problems. ;o)

• @rskoniec and @jmarcelino,

Just now I tried updating with a different USB cable (of my phone, of which I was sure the data channels were connected), and a couple of things happened:

• A new device popped up in device manager
    • The firmware update worked perfectly fine
    • I thanked you guys silently for preventing me from wasting any more time.

So, solved! It amazes me how such a tiny mistake can cost so much time (in total, I spend a whole day on this).

Thanks!

• @Jakko said in LoPy Firmware updates fail on Win10:

For comparison, I checked what happens when I plug and unplug an arduino. Then, "Arduino Uno (COM6)" pops up in device manager when I plug it in, and it immediately disappears when I unplug it.

I assume that for Arduino test you've used different USB cable as UNO have USB B type connector.
    0_1487923307922_Arduino-Uno.jpg

• @jmarcelino said in LoPy Firmware updates fail on Win10:

I dont think Pycom actually send USB cables, at least I never got one.

Neither do I.

• Oh OK sorry, I was going by the second screen where he tried it..

Can you try another microUSB cable? I know you said it worked before but maybe it was another one. There are many "power only" cables out there which could explain these symptoms.

I dont think Pycom actually send USB cables, at least I never got one.

Also try connecting to a different port on your computer. Until it's detected as a device it won't really work.

• Yes, COM3 shows up as 'USB Serial Device'. However, this does not disappear when I unplug the LoPy from USB

@jmarcelino What I understand is that @Jakko is fully aware that COM3 is not a LoPy. ;)

• @Jakko said in LoPy Firmware updates fail on Win10:

Yes, COM3 shows up as 'USB Serial Device'. However, this does not disappear when I unplug the LoPy from USB.

Are you sure this COM3 is really the LoPy board? Can it be something else?
    The USB device should really disappear once unplugged.

1. Is there any chance that LoPy board is fitting Expansion Board in wrong position? LoPy RGB LED should be above Expansion Board microUSB port.
    2. What kind of G23-GND connection is used? Male-male breadboard connector or just ordinary wire? I've experienced problems with UTP wire connection (was unstable causing connection errors).
    3. Could you provide a photo of your setup?

• @rskoniec

Yes, COM3 shows up as 'USB Serial Device'. However, this does not disappear when I unplug the LoPy from USB.
    For comparison, I checked what happens when I plug and unplug an arduino. Then, "Arduino Uno (COM6)" pops up in device manager when I plug it in, and it immediately disappears when I unplug it. Does this mean my UART connection from the LoPy is corrupted?

• On the 2nd screenshot you're using COM3. Do you have such device in the system?

• Hey rskoniec,

Thanks for the quick reply. As for your points:

1. I am using the USB cable provided by Pycom. I have been able to establish a UART connection with the LoPy before using this cable.
    2. I have tried updating both with and without 'fast connection'
    3. The jumpers are all there.

Greetings,

Jakko

• Few things should be checked:

1. Make sure you are using full communication USB cable (4-wire) not just charging USB cable (2-wire).
    2. Try to uncheck "fast connection" option in f/w updater tool.
    3. Have a look at the jumpers on the expansion board (especially RX/TX). Generally they should be all in place (picture below - borrowed from @bucknall).
      0_1487862576597_eb_jumpers.jpg

Pycom on Twitter