WiFi/Bluetooth antenna types

• Hello everyone,

We are working on future product development and we would like to know hoy many of you are actually using the u.fl connector on the WiFi/Bluetooth side to connect an external antenna. Please use the poll below to provide your feedback.

This is very important for us and we really appreciate your input. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Daniel

• @jmarcelino seeing the results of the poll we will continue having both options available ;-)

• I could be wrong but I don't see this as a question about maintaining both antenna options but to pick the one that will remain.

• In our educational context we use / would use both. Rapid development and prototyping are the key and deploying the dev boards rather than the OEM boards is much more likely with most of the projects we would be undertaking. Therefore it should remain easy to add the external antenna for bluetooth/wifi. Maintaining the external antenna connection on the dev board gets my vote.

• @MaSePreetz
    I think this is only about the WiFi/Bluetooth antenna, Sigfox/LoRa/LTE will remain unchanged (external only)

• Pybytes Beta

@daniel Actually we will use both types of the antennae:
    The internal for testing and prototyping and the external for deployment.
    Our units will be put into water-sealed cases and will definitely need an
    external antenna (LTE reception approx. 10m below the surface would be
    tricky otherwise ;-)

• @daniel Thank you. Looking forward to them. By the way thanks for 1.6.7.b1!

• @leelive, all the design docs for the L01 and W01 will be available within the next 2 weeks.

• For development and small volume applications, it is important to have both options available.

• @daniel My company plans to use your L01 OEM module. All our end products will use an SMA board edge connector for Lora, but we plan to have 2 options for the Wifi/BLE antenna a) PCB trace or chip if required by your FCC cert; b) SMA or U.FL connector.

What we really need, but doesn't seem to be available yet on the L01 Docs link is the board support info with recommended footprint, antenna switch, et al. Is this available by request? Thanks!

• @daniel said in WiFi/Bluetooth antenna types:

OEM is already without smd antena and also without external connector.

Yes, but you can put the external connector yourself, it's just a simple microstrip line directly to an u.fl or SMA connector.

Yes, i know - i simply do not understand the purpose of questionnaire.
    If it is about removing from current module - eg. smd or u.fl then i worry about it
    because i need both :)

• OEM is already without smd antena and also without external connector.

Yes, but you can put the external connector yourself, it's just a simple microstrip line directly to an u.fl or SMA connector.

• @daniel said in WiFi/Bluetooth antenna types:

I suppose the idea is that for a final product you should look at the OEM module and where the antenna path is entirely up to you.

Exactly, that's our thinking.

Then i still do not understand
    OEM is already without smd antena and also without external connector.

• I suppose the idea is that for a final product you should look at the OEM module and where the antenna path is entirely up to you.

Exactly, that's our thinking.

• But there is always something in between. For semi-professional builds, where people do not have the experience to deal with PCB HF-Design, they could still make use of the xPy Modules and hook up an external antenna.

• I suppose the idea is that for a final product you should look at the OEM module and where the antenna path is entirely up to you.

• I agree to @shaun. For development, the internal antenna is fine & convenient. A final product, which has an enclosure and/or set-up which suits a PCB antenna not well, may need an external antenna.

• This poll is probably premature......
    During development, I suspect the majority are using the PCB chip antenna only.

The real world applications that may require the external antenna, are still to be developed and deployed, at which time only it may be discovered that an external antenna is necessary.

• @daniel
    May i ask if this is for resign from one?
    Because i plan to use in one scenarion internal and in secod external.

Pycom on Twitter