G01module: LTE modem pins and EMAC use

• The G01 module lists pins GPIO19 as LTE_CTS and GPIO27 as LTE_WAKE. These pins unfortunately collide with the EMAC RMII interface (EMAC_TXD0 and EMAX_RX_DV).

Can these pins be disabled for the LTE interface or somehow multiplexed? For our application we would need both LTE modem and Ethernet interface.

• The EMAC RMII signals are the few ESP32 signals which cannot be reassigned to different I/O pads on the ESP32.

It is unfortunate that PyCom uses some of those pins for the LTE modem rather than pins which can be re-assigned. Being able to use the EMAC would have opened more use cases for the G01 hardware module.

@jmarcelino said in G01module: LTE modem pins and EMAC use:

Maybe using a SPI Ethernet interface chip?

Using an SPI Ethernet defeats the purpose a bit as the ESP32 has a very capable and fast Ethernet MAC and the esp-idf has really good out-of-the-box software support for it.

• @Eric24
    The RMII is a high speed interface so the pins are fixed. Same problem with the LoPy/SiPy..

I don't think it will work... Maybe using a SPI Ethernet interface chip?

• @hwmaier Are the pins used by the EMAC interface "fixed" or could they be changed in the driver?

• @danielm said in G01module: LTE modem pins and EMAC use:

Is there any plan to provide API for EMAC RMII in the FW?

I don't know. I am interested to use the G01 with C/C++ and the Espressif esp-idf framework rather with Python and hoping that the LTE modem connection does not prohibit the use of Ethernet with the module.

There seems very little information available at present regards the LTE modem, probably because the hardware is not yet released.

• Is there any plan to provide API for EMAC RMII in the FW?

Pycom on Twitter