New firmware release v1.16.0.b1 (LoRaWAN 1.0.2 multi-region support)

• @this-wiederkehr You can use the -t option, providing the .tar.gz archive as an argument.

With a Pysense or Pytrack (running a recent firmware) and the --pypic option this makes upgrades much easier than they used to be.

• @Xykon: how can I use the updater tool to flash custom firmware using the pycom-fwtool-cli? I think there used to be an -f option which was used to specify the file. However, when using the latest release of the firmware updater tool 1.10.1.b2 I was not able to flash custom fw. Would you mind providing an example on how to achieve this?

• @daniel I just wonder - if LoRaWAN in this release was updated to 1.0.2 why os.uname() shows lorawan='1.0.0' ?

• @aevraewrvaervea Thanks to the tip from @ssmith, using com3 instead of COM3 worked, despite the tool reporting the com port as being COM3 on Windows when the list command is used, and the erroneous example code, i.e.,

C:\Program Files (x86)\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update>pycom-fwtool-cli.exe -v -p co
    m3 -s 921600 flash -t SiPy.tar.gz

works where SiPy.tar.gz is the firmware file in the same folder.

• @xykon said in New firmware release v1.16.0.b1 (LoRaWAN 1.0.2 multi-region support):

@combaindeft said in New firmware release v1.16.0.b1 (LoRaWAN 1.0.2 multi-region support):

@daniel Hi,

And where is the link to the firmware?

https://software.pycom.io/downloads/LoPy_868-1.16.0.b1.tar.gz

doesn't seem to work :-(

Since there are no longer frequency specific versions, the download link for the LoPy1 would be https://software.pycom.io/downloads/LoPy-1.16.0.b1.tar.gz

If you flash this firmware manually rather than using the GUI firmware updater, it will default to using EU 868MHz frequency unless the LoRa stack is initialised in code with the correct region.

To set the default region manually, the cli version of the firmware updater has a special command for this.

On MacOS, the cli version is installed in "/Applications/Pycom Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/" as pycom-fwtool-cli

On Windows, this is installed either in "C:\Program Files\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update" (32bit) or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update" (64bit) as pycom-fwtool-cli.exe

For Unix/Linux, this is launched via python bin/updater.py from the pyupgrade folder.

Example for MacOS:

Check available serial ports: "/Applications/Pycom Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/pycom-fwtool-cli" list

Check current LPWAN settings: "/Applications/Pycom Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/pycom-fwtool-cli" --port /dev/tty.usbmodemPy343431 lpwan

Set default LoRa region to US915: "/Applications/Pycom Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/pycom-fwtool-cli" --verbose --port /dev/tty.usbmodemPy343431 lpwan --region "US915"

Note: If you omit the -v / --verbose option, you will not see any output for the command. To check if it was successful, you can check echo $? which should return 0 on success or any other number on failure.

You can also use the command "/Applications/Pycom Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/pycom-fwtool-cli" --port /dev/tty.usbmodemPy343431 lpwan again to check that your modification was successful.

Example on Windows (64bit): see above explanations for MacOS which are identical for all OS

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update\pycom-fwtool-cli.exe" list

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update\pycom-fwtool-cli.exe" -p COM4 lpwan

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update\pycom-fwtool-cli.exe" --verbose -p COM4 lpwan --region "US915"

Example on Windows (32bit): see above explanations for MacOS which are identical for all OS

"C:\Program Files\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update\pycom-fwtool-cli.exe" list

"C:\Program Files\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update\pycom-fwtool-cli.exe" -p COM4 lpwan

"C:\Program Files\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update\pycom-fwtool-cli.exe" --verbose -p COM4 lpwan --region "US915"

Example on Linux: see above explanations for MacOS which are identical for all OS

python bin/updater.py list

python bin/updater.py --port /dev/ttyACM0 lpwan

python bin/updater.py --verbose --port /dev/ttyACM0 lpwan --region "US915"

I run into lots of issues trying to follow these instructions on a Win64 machine. First issue is the com port needs to use lower case. A bigger issue is that the update program is looking for a file named lopy_915.bin in the archive. This doesn't exist in the archive. Had to rename the file lopy.bin to lopy_915.bin in order for it to work and actually update my device. Also, please put a print statement or something to know that it is actually working. A few times I thought it was locked up so I ctrl-c out of it.

• @xykon I'm getting the following error with a Sipy which can happily be upgraded using the latest GUI tool but fails using the cli tool. When I type the following at a command prompt:

pycom-fwtool-cli.exe -p COM3 sigfox

I get:

Exception: Cannot configure port, something went wrong. Original message: Window
    sError(87, 'The parameter is incorrect.'), on line 351

I have already confirmed with the "list" command that COM3 is correct. The GUI update works so I have G23 grounded OK. I have rebooted so nothing else is using the serial port. Any ideas?

• administrators

@cruzer said in New firmware release v1.16.0.b1 (LoRaWAN 1.0.2 multi-region support):

@xykon Awesome! Thanks. I have emailed the request to support

I was travelling yesterday... I checked the support email inbox today but can't seem to find your email. If you can send me a personal message instead I will update your device as soon as possible so you can use the GUI firmware updater when the next update is released.

• @daniel i have WIFI and socket issue. If i create a socket but i haven't never connected the wifi object, the "socket.connect()" raise an exception.
    instead if i do this step:

• create and connect with the wifi object
    • shutdown the router
    • create socket and socket.connect()
      the call doesn't raise nothing despite the socket.settimeout(3). Furthermore the wlan.ifconfig() return True as i was still connected. I attach a simple code to test the issue.
    import socket
    import machine
    import time
    from network import WLAN

ssid = "MY_SSID"
    pwd = "MY_PWD"
    sec = WLAN.WPA2

def http_get(url):
        _, _, host, path = url.split('/', 3)
        addr = socket.getaddrinfo(host, 80)[0][-1]
        s = socket.socket()
        s.setblocking(True)
        s.settimeout(3)
        s.connect(addr)
        s.send(bytes('GET /%s HTTP/1.0\r\nHost: %s\r\n\r\n' % (path, host), 'utf8'))
        while True:
            data = s.recv(100)
            if data:
                print(str(data, 'utf8'), end='')
            else:
                break
        s.close()

wlan = WLAN(mode = WLAN.STA, antenna = WLAN.INT_ANT)
    wlan.connect(ssid=ssid, auth=(sec,pwd))

print("Waiting for connection")
    while not wlan.isconnected():
        machine.idle()

i = 0
    while 1:

if not wlan.isconnected():
            print("Not connected to AP")
        else:
            print("Connected to AP")

i+=1

try:
            http_get('http://micropython.org/ks/test.html')
        except:
            print("GET failed")

time.sleep(3)
        print("GET n: " + str(i))

• This post is deleted!

• @xykon Awesome! Thanks. I have emailed the request to support, but you know what, as soon as I flash my LoPy using the FW you sent, it started to work.

Thanks heaps and hopefully on the next FW release, it will be a lot of help to also include the link to the FW file.

Regards,
    Adam

• administrators

@cruzer said in New firmware release v1.16.0.b1 (LoRaWAN 1.0.2 multi-region support):

@daniel can you please send a link to the FW file? I have to downgrade to previous FW to make it work again. During the upgrade process, I was asked by the upgrade wizard and I chose LoPy4 (should be just LoPy) and I can't seem to get that screen back anymore.

Can you please just send me the FW for LoPy? (are they just the same file?) At the current state when I have upgraded from 868, and tried AS923, it is not working (not even a JOIN request)

The firmware for LoPy4 will not work on the LoPy1 because they use different chips for LoRa connectivity.

For security reasons it is currently not possible for users to change their board type after registering it with the firmware update tool.

To get your board type changed from LoPy4 to LoPy, please run the following code on the module:

import machine,binascii                                                     
    binascii.hexlify(machine.unique_id())

Please email the output to support@pycom.io so we can reset your board.

• administrators

@combaindeft said in New firmware release v1.16.0.b1 (LoRaWAN 1.0.2 multi-region support):

@daniel Hi,

Since there are no longer frequency specific versions, the download link for the LoPy1 would be https://software.pycom.io/downloads/LoPy-1.16.0.b1.tar.gz

If you flash this firmware manually rather than using the GUI firmware updater, it will default to using EU 868MHz frequency unless the LoRa stack is initialised in code with the correct region.

To set the default region manually, the cli version of the firmware updater has a special command for this.

On MacOS, the cli version is installed in "/Applications/Pycom Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/" as pycom-fwtool-cli

On Windows, this is installed either in "C:\Program Files\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update" (32bit) or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update" (64bit) as pycom-fwtool-cli.exe

For Unix/Linux, this is launched via python bin/updater.py from the pyupgrade folder.

Example for MacOS:

Check available serial ports: "/Applications/Pycom Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/pycom-fwtool-cli" list

Check current LPWAN settings: "/Applications/Pycom Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/pycom-fwtool-cli" --port /dev/tty.usbmodemPy343431 lpwan

Set default LoRa region to US915: "/Applications/Pycom Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/pycom-fwtool-cli" --verbose --port /dev/tty.usbmodemPy343431 lpwan --region "US915"

Note: If you omit the -v / --verbose option, you will not see any output for the command. To check if it was successful, you can check echo $? which should return 0 on success or any other number on failure.

You can also use the command "/Applications/Pycom Firmware Update.app/Contents/Resources/pycom-fwtool-cli" --port /dev/tty.usbmodemPy343431 lpwan again to check that your modification was successful.

Example on Windows (64bit): see above explanations for MacOS which are identical for all OS

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update\pycom-fwtool-cli.exe" list

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update\pycom-fwtool-cli.exe" -p COM4 lpwan

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update\pycom-fwtool-cli.exe" --verbose -p COM4 lpwan --region "US915"

Example on Windows (32bit): see above explanations for MacOS which are identical for all OS

"C:\Program Files\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update\pycom-fwtool-cli.exe" list

"C:\Program Files\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update\pycom-fwtool-cli.exe" -p COM4 lpwan

"C:\Program Files\Pycom\Pycom Firmware Update\pycom-fwtool-cli.exe" --verbose -p COM4 lpwan --region "US915"

Example on Linux: see above explanations for MacOS which are identical for all OS

python bin/updater.py list

python bin/updater.py --port /dev/ttyACM0 lpwan

python bin/updater.py --verbose --port /dev/ttyACM0 lpwan --region "US915"

• @daniel can you please send a link to the FW file? I have to downgrade to previous FW to make it work again. During the upgrade process, I was asked by the upgrade wizard and I chose LoPy4 (should be just LoPy) and I can't seem to get that screen back anymore.

Can you please just send me the FW for LoPy? (are they just the same file?) At the current state when I have upgraded from 868, and tried AS923, it is not working (not even a JOIN request)

• @daniel Two notes about that Ctr-F "Feature":
    a) It's a breaking change and interferes with code, that expects a transparent interface from USB. Ctrl-C could be disabled via keyb_intr(), this one can not. Maybe we could agree in that key_intr() disables both modes, if e.g. called as keyb_intr(-1).
    b) After calling up Ctrl-F once, the succeeding Ctrl-D still are in safe boot mode. back to normal requires a power cycle or a physical hard reset.

• @daniel Hi,

• administrators

@danielm said in New firmware release v1.16.0.b1 (LoRaWAN 1.0.2 multi-region support):

@daniel
    What exactly was implemented regarding heartbeat_on_boot, wifi_settings?

pycom.heartbeat_on_boot(False) disables the heartbeat (rgb led) on boot.

WiFi settings are experimental and more functionality will be added in the next release.

I will provide more details later this week when I had the chance to do more tests on this.

• @daniel Thank you a lot!! It is highly important for me (and for many people of Pycom's community) to have that function available.

• @icorredor in a few days, we are working on all that and it's almost ready.

• @daniel When will we have a fully functional firmware for LTE CAT M1 or, at least, with an open terminal to send arbitrary AT commands to the LTE CAT M1 modem?

• @daniel
    What exactly was implemented regarding heartbeat_on_boot, wifi_settings?

Pycom on Twitter