IPv6 Implementation, Documentation, and Code Examples?

• So... I found this GitHub:
    https://github.com/pycom/pycom-esp-idf/tree/master/components/lwip/core/ipv6

And it seemed potentially promising. I'm looking for an MCU (ideally ESP32 based) with workable IPv6 support. I don't need much. Just the ability to get an IPv6 address via SLAAC (or I can even accept static assignment for now) and them move some packets (TCP, UDP, and ideally ICMP). I need to be able to address lots of these MCUs in the field for my project, so trying to do that over IPv4 is not an option. However, with IPv6, they can phone home to register than accept asynchronous connections after they've registered their address. Admittedly not ideal vs. static addresses and DNS entries and all that, but we have to deal with the real world.

I know everything I need is already in uSocket and most if not all of it is available in ESP-IDF, but I'd like to avoid learning a whole new (and frankly rather clunky) development environment, so I'm hoping that there's some plan to add the needful to the Pycom Micropython implementation so that we can all do IPv6 easily.

Any good news coming any time soon?

• @livius TYVM!!

• @owendelong said in IPv6 Implementation, Documentation, and Code Examples?:

I need to wait 10 minutes to post this

I have upvoted your posts, now you can write without delay.

• @jcaron Sorry, hit submit too soon and now I need to wait 10 minutes to post this. Sigh. Mostly WiFi. Some LTE (hence the T-Mo nodes), but probably not in the first generation.

Google my name, you'll see that I've got a pretty good handle on IPv6 deployment and where it does and doesn't work so far. You'll also see that I have a history of improving that situation in various areas. ;-)

• @jcaron Most of the deployments will be within networks attached to Comcast, T-Mobile, or AT&T, all of which provide IPv6 to their customers.

• @owendelong I don’t have an answer to your question but I wonder, when you mean “in the field”, you will have control over the network and can be sure there’s IPv6? Because relying on it for devices connected to any random network seems risky to me...

And if you have control over the network, you could possibly use your own private addressing and/or a VPN to avoid the need for IPv6.

How are the nodes going to be connected? Wi-Fi? LTE cat M1? Something else? Are they going to be battery powered?

Really wondering what use case is here?

Pycom on Twitter