Pymakr... Time of Death : 09/02... ;-)

• Hi Everyone!

Quick introduction - My name is Alex and I've recently joined Pycom as a Developer Evangelist. I'll be working to support the community through events (Hackathons & Workshops), with documentation/tutorials and any other support that you, the community, need! I'll be starting to set up weekly webinars to chat with you about troubleshooting, feature requests, MicroPython, IoT and anything else you want to talk about! I'll post again with more details once a schedule has been drawn up! In the meantime, feel free to contact me here on the forums, by email at alex@pycom.io and on twitter as @AlexRBucknall. I'm always happy to help out!

On to why you're really here... ;-)! So we've been discussing the state of Pymakr and where it fits into our road map. We've come to the conclusion that it would be better for us to support the community by allowing you to use editors and IDE's of your own preference rather than asking you to use our own tool. So as of today, we are retiring Pymakr as an IDE...

...Instead, we'll be bringing Pymakr back as plugins for your favourite IDEs & editors! From this point forwards, the Dev team is starting work on plugins for the 4 most popular IDEs & editors at the moment. We'll be starting with plugins for Atom and Visual Studio Code, followed by Sublime and PyCharm. These plugins will bring across the functionality that Pymakr had (e.g. Sync, etc.) and still allow you to work in environments that you're comfortable/familiar with!

We hope that this is the right decision and look forward to hearing your feedback!

All the best,
    The Pycom Team

• @bmarkus After removing all files and directories left over by ATOM uninstall on WIN10 and reinstalled it works and at first time at least for me upload and download also works. It's the time to restart using LoPy.

• @jcaron

I will point it out the the people in charge of the website, thanks for being ever vigilant :)

• @seb off-topic, but while you're fixing the above issue on the site, you should probably do a round of updates on the release dates for all the new stuff (new case, Pyscan, etc.). Some state they will be shipping in march, but unless you have a surprise for tomorrow, it does not seem likely...

• @seb
    I do to a degree appreciate your desition.
    I do however not agree and I'm of cause greatly disappointed.
    You are giving everybody false expectations by stating the below in a prominent place on your page (https://pycom.io/software-2/)

<Quote>
    Currently, only Pymakr plugins for Atom and Visual Studio Code are available to use. The plugins for Sublime and PyCharm are in the pipeline.
    <UnQuote>

• @cvrtky said in Pymakr... Time of Death : 09/02... ;-):

@travist
    Yes PyCharms commercial license has a hefty price. Since the majority of us are hobbyists, there fortunately is the community version which is free.

/Tim

I'm a happy user of the community release.

• @travist
    Yes PyCharms commercial license has a hefty price. Since the majority of us are hobbyists, there fortunately is the community version which is free.

/Tim

• Pymakr is definitely not perfect, and neither is Atom, but I have no where near the issues you are seeing and overall have had a reasonably pleasant experience with Pymakr in the last 4 months. Hopefully with a clean install and maybe some configuration of Atom things will start to work better for you.

I know PyCharm is loved by most the people that use it, and for me the main reason I have avoided it is because I just do not code all day every day, which makes it hard to justify the commercial license. So it is disappointing that there is not a plugin from Pycom to support it. It does look like Pycharm's own Micropython plugin might support use with Pycom boards

Just realize that Sublime Text and Atom are not trying to be full IDEs, and I like them for their flexibility, even though they can be a little light on features.

• @ralph said in Pymakr... Time of Death : 09/02... ;-):

@bmarkus I don't know bmarkus, just trying to help you get pymakr up and running.

Thanks Ralph, it is not against you. Cleaned, reinstalled now it starts without error. Later will try with a board.

• @bmarkus I don't know bmarkus, just trying to help you get pymakr up and running.

• @ralph Why the hell ATOM leaves directories in home after uninstall without notice??? One more reason to dislike it.

• @bmarkus the 'could not locate bindings' error occurred for some users after an update in December, where atom decided package names can't use capital letters anymore (some more info in this thread). Yet for some users the uppercase name sticks in the cache.
    Uninstall, then delete both ~/.atom/.apm/Pymkr and ~/.config/Atom/Cache, and finally install pymakr 1.2.11 on the latest Atom (1.25.0). Let me know if that solves it for you.

• One more note. Lack of usable UI slows down my work with Pycom products and puts it to lower priority than it would be otherwise. It is not a fun to work.

• @seb said in Pymakr... Time of Death : 09/02... ;-):

@bmarkus

What is it exactly that you find unusable with the ATOM plugin? I can relay this feedback to the appropriate team. I know they are currently reworking the way it communicates with the boards to simplify it and make it similar to how mpfshell
    works so that should improve stability.

In general, I do not like ATOM itself. I do not like the UI, I hate its default theme and it is very slow. Pymakr plugin doesn't start in most cases, update of the plugin or ATOM makes it not working like it is now

0_1522145809858_31e5fd2e-e3f5-43c5-8747-a7db22c482eb-image.png

0_1522145839240_90cc3f8a-8635-4847-879c-d7cd72aff2c0-image.png

0_1522146085168_229b98d8-5b5e-406e-8e82-7ed4564c313c-image.png
    If for some reason it works connection to LoPy is not stable, sync doesn't work, etc. As a summary, all parts has an issue. I need a tool to work and my business is not to fix the tools.

I checked it because you asked for feedback, but still useless. I do not have time to waste for it.

• @seb For me, the connection to the board is the big issue. Admittedly I'm on OSX 10.10, but I need to keep rebooting the LoPy, plugging/unplugging the cable, trying disconnect/reconnect. I'd put it at about one in 20 connection attempts that works, which makes development really painful.

Minor issue is the clunkiness of setting which serial port to work with, especially if I'm doing things with multiple boards.

• @bmarkus

What is it exactly that you find unusable with the ATOM plugin? I can relay this feedback to the appropriate team. I know they are currently reworking the way it communicates with the boards to simplify it and make it similar to how mpfshell
    works so that should improve stability.

• @seb Thats a real shame. Having used both (micropython with PyCharm, and PyCharm for most other python projects). Visual Studio Code and ATOM, really feel under done by comparison.

• @seb said in Pymakr... Time of Death : 09/02... ;-):

@cvrtky

We have decided to concentrate of supporting only atom and visual studio rather than all four editors mentioned in the past so that the development team is not spread out working across 4 different editors

Sorry to say but still I find ATOM plugin unusable for use for several reasons. Would be good to revise is it worth to invest so much energy into ATOM plugin development or not.

• @cvrtky

We have decided to concentrate of supporting only atom and visual studio rather than all four editors mentioned in the past so that the development team is not spread out working across 4 different editors

• @seb
    what happend to:
    <quote>
    ...Instead, we'll be bringing Pymakr back as plugins for your favourite IDEs & editors! From this point forwards, the Dev team is starting work on plugins for the 4 most popular IDEs & editors at the moment. We'll be starting with plugins for Atom and Visual Studio Code, followed by Sublime and PyCharm. These plugins will bring across the functionality that Pymakr had (e.g. Sync, etc.) and still allow you to work in environments that you're comfortable/familiar with!
    <unquote>

Cheers
    Tim

Pycom on Twitter