New Firmware Updater version 1.14.1

• administrators

Today we release a new firmware updater 1.14.1

• For most users, you will notice that this updater now allows flashing Pybytes, stable and development firmware, so there is no longer a Pybytes specific version of the updater.
      There is currently no development firmware available but if we release one we will make an announcement in the new Beta Announcements & Development News section.

• Furthermore this firmware updater now allows erasing the flash file system, which often solves connectivity issues if scripts flashed onto the device don't work correctly.

• For LoRa devices, if the LoRa MAC on your device and on the server is either FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF or 0000000000000000, the GUI updater will try to allocate a new address (pending availability). This usually happens if a device has been erased before being updated for the first time with the online firmware updater.

• This is also the first release of the new binary firmware updater for Linux. The download link will bring you to a webpage with links to the actual packages. There are 3 types of packages available, and for each type there is a package with a 32bit and 64bit version. Additionally there is one package for armhf which has been tested on a Raspberry Pi3.

• To check the version of GLIBC available on your system, please run ldd --version

• For users of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and higher (and possibly older versions and other Debian and compatible Linux versions with a GLIBC of at least 2.18) there are .deb packages available, which you can install either using sudo dpkg -i <pkg_name> or by double-clicking the file and installing it via the Software Package manager. You can start the GUI firmware updater via the Software menu or by running /usr/local/bin/pycom-fwtool from the command line. You can also run the CLI firmware updater with /usr/local/bin/pycom-fwtool-cli and the dialog based firmware updater with /usr/local/bin/pycom-update

• For all other Linux versions, there are two types available. One for Linux systems which have a GLIBC of at least 2.18, you will find three programs inside the pyupgrade folder after unpacking. pycom-fwtool is the GUI firmware updater, pycom-fwtool-cli is the cli updater (previously bin/updater.py) and pycom-update, which is the old dialog based updater script.

• For systems which don't have GLIBC 2.18, there is a compatibility package available which requires GLIBC 2.14 for the GUI version. The GUI version is a bit slow starting up so give it a minute, but it should still flash your board OK.

• If your system cannot run GLIBC 2.14, the cli updater in the compatibility package has a lower requirement (I believe GLIBC 2.7 but I'm unable to verify this at the moment) so you can use the dialog based update script pycom-update.

• This version also comes with an improved scripting engine, and you can read all the details here.

Please let me know if you encounter any issues.

• administrators

EDIT: This issue should now be fixed in the latest version 1.14.2 but I'm leaving these instructions here for now in case the issue is still not 100% resolved.

If you are prompted for a Pybytes token even though you selected "stable" as the firmware type:

0_1525703676661_Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 16.34.09.png

Please post your OS type (Mac, Windows (32/64bit), Linux) and exact version here.

Then please use the following firmware updater:

MacOS
    Windows
    Linux

Please ignore the message about an upgrade being available.

• administrators

I have noticed that a number of WiPy and GPy had LoRa MACs assigned to them via the new "rescue" mechanism even though they shouldn't have.

An initial attempt to fix the issue was causing the software server to become unstable, so I have temporarily suspended the feature until further testing can be done.

If your WiPy or GPy has received a LoRa Mac in the last few days, these will be revoked over the weekend and removed from your device during the next firmware update. There is no negative side-effect from having the MAC address programmed on your board, it just doesn't do anything.

• @xykon
    Ok, link is now working.
    Thanks.

• administrators

@rcolistete said in New Firmware Updater version 1.14.1:

In the Linux firmware updater page, the link to "pycom_firmware_update_1.14.1-armhf.tar.gz" isn't working, showing "Unauthorized".

Thanks for noticing... this should work now. Please let me know if you have any success with this version as it hasn't been tested as thoroughly as the other version.

• In the Linux firmware updater page, the link to "pycom_firmware_update_1.14.1-armhf.tar.gz" isn't working, showing "Unauthorized".

Pycom on Twitter