Installing pymakr 1.0.0b6 on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

• Hi

I have downloaded pymaker deb package and tried to install it on my Ubuntu machine; unfortunately, it does not work, complaining about the QScintilla libraries; I changed to Python 2.7, but it still does not work.

Did anyone have any luck? Is there any alternative?
    Thanks a lot

• hi @pwest, This happened in the 1.0.0.b8 release, so if it's the same problem it should be fixed. Can you post a stacktrace or screenshot of the error you are getting?

• @Ralph said in Installing pymakr 1.0.0b6 on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS:

The next release will have a fix for this. Expect it beginning next week.

Did this happen? I just downloaded pymakr from https://www.pycom.io/support/supportdownloads/ and see the exact same problem...

• Hi @pwest,

There is not really a list, but basically all pymakr needs is sip, pyqt4 (on python 2.7) and QScintilla2. Pymakr ships with it, so that's not the issue. The problem arises when PyQt5 is already installed on your system. Pymakr detects that but can't handle it and crashes.

The next release will have a fix for this. Expect it beginning next week.

• I've been unable to get Pymakr running on my Linux Mint box, including under a few different conda envs. Is there a list of desired installed packages under which Pymakr should run?

• Hi @leogaggl. Not yet, but we are working on it now so it should be in the next release.

• @Ralph Any news on the PyQT5 issues ? Still no luck with 1.0.0b7

• Thanks for the hint, but all these packages are installed:

libqt4-designer libqt4-help libqt4-scripttools libqt4-svg libqt4-test
      libqtassistantclient4 libqtwebkit4 python-qscintilla2 python-qt4
    ```

• administrators

@jnc said in Installing pymakr 1.0.0b6 on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS:

I did as you suggested, both lines ran fine, but when starting pymakr:

Maybe try sudo apt-get install python-qt4?

• Hi Xykon
    I did as you suggested, both lines ran fine, but when starting pymakr:

$ pymakr
    Python 2.7.12
    Error in sys.excepthook:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "/usr/share/pymakr/modules/pymakr.py", line 145, in excepthook
       import Utilities
     File "/usr/share/pymakr/modules/Utilities/__init__.py", line 62, in <module>
       from PyQt5.Qsci import QSCINTILLA_VERSION_STR, QsciScintilla
    ImportError: No module named Qsci

Original exception was:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "/usr/share/pymakr/modules/pymakr.py", line 368, in <module>
       main()
     File "/usr/share/pymakr/modules/pymakr.py", line 268, in main
       if not Globals.checkBlacklistedVersions():
     File "/usr/share/pymakr/modules/Globals/__init__.py", line 110, in checkBlacklistedVersions
       from PyQt5.Qsci import QSCINTILLA_VERSION_STR
    ImportError: No module named Qsci

• administrators

I successfully installed pymakr on Ubuntu 16.04.1 by running:

sudo dpkg -i pymakr_1.0.0.b6-1_all.deb
    sudo apt-get -f install

• Hi Ralph
    I can't uninstall PyQT5 because it's used by other software on my machines, so i'll have to wait until Pymakr is made compatible with PyQT5. Will it also work with Python3?

• Ok, the problem is that if Pymakr detects PyQt5 installed, something goes wrong and it doesn't start properly. You can always use another IDE to code and use FTP to upload your files to the board, but Pymakr makes it just a whole bunch easier. Your choice if you want to uninstall PyQt5 or not. You don't need to install PyQt4 manually, Pymakr should take care of that.

I'll let you know when we solve the PyQt5 issue.

• Indeed, PyQT5 is installed, because it's used by other packages; on Ubuntu 16.04, I can't even find a python-pyqt4 package, only python3-pyqt4.
    What do you suggest? Is this the only way to work with the WiPY/LoPy?
    Thanks

• Hi @jnc

Is it possible you have PyQt5 installed? We've seen cases where people had to downgrade from PyQt5 to PyQt4 to make Pymakr run properly. We're working on fixing this issue and possibly making Pymakr compatible with PyQt5.

Let me know if that helps.

Pycom on Twitter