FSK mode on LoPy4

• The documentation and the code appears to disable FSK mode for LoPy4.

My understanding is the SX1276 chip allows for this functionality.

Is there any reason why this is disabled?

• @catalin said in FSK mode on LoPy4:

We are compliant with LoRaWAN specifications, as we have certified our modules, and FSK mode is optional.
    Just fyi, the SX drivers are here: https://github.com/pycom/pycom-micropython-sigfox/tree/master/drivers/sx127x/sx1272

@catalin Where do you see in the Lora Alliance specification DR7 is optional in EU868? BTW, is DR6 implemented? Well, certification means you passed the test but doesn't guarantee full compatibility. Also, on the competitive side you are missing a feature supported by nearly all others.

• We are compliant with LoRaWAN specifications, as we have certified our modules, and FSK mode is optional.
    Just fyi, the SX drivers are here: https://github.com/pycom/pycom-micropython-sigfox/tree/master/drivers/sx127x/sx1272

• Thanks @bmarkus for infos; we'll discuss internally.

• @catalin said in FSK mode on LoPy4:

Indeed the SX127x supports (G)FSK (and OOK) modulation, but versus Lora modulation offers lower range, lower robustness, and bigger bitrate. Any other advantage?
    I didn't know there are LoRaWAN gateways that allow FSK vs. Lora modulation.
    I think there are drivers for FSK, for the Semtech chips.

While it is not widely used, FSK is supported by gateways and many network servers. It is specified in the LoRa Alliance's Regional Specification, see DR7:

0_1545200300475_0d00593a-4984-4523-828c-2b44a3df1510-image.png

This is from specification 1.0.3 but it was in previous versions since a long time and in 1.1 too.

Lack of DR7 means module is not fully compliant to LoRa Alliance specifications.

• Indeed the SX127x supports (G)FSK (and OOK) modulation, but versus Lora modulation offers lower range, lower robustness, and bigger bitrate. Any other advantage?
    I didn't know there are LoRaWAN gateways that allow FSK vs. Lora modulation.
    I think there are drivers for FSK, for the Semtech chips.

• Looking deeper into this, I'm seeing that the code for FSK mode simply isn't written in the drivers yet for the SX127x chipsets. Specifically in the drivers directory of the pycom-micropython-sigfox repository, as opposed to the simple esp32/ ports.

Closing this for now as I figure its on the eventual list. Would be a very nice feature though, as there are a TON of fsk devices, that I'd like to be able to use a LoPy4 as an endpoint for.

• FSK mode is supported by LoRa Gateways with SX1301 and by other LoRaWAN module vendors like MICROCHIP as DR7 in EU868 as well as DR6, 250kHz bandwith, SF7 and 4/5 CR. Next to @robertkeizer I do not see any reason why it is not available and I miss it.

Pycom on Twitter