Unable to communicate to pybytes app

• Hello,

Trying to get started with my first GPy here and I'm not sure if I'm using it right. First thing I did was to update the FW with the pycom-fwtool (1.16.5) and then I tried to connect to the REPL in the pymakr extension for Atom. With the device connected I can see the boot message from the device but then I don't see anything beyond this and the console does not appear to be responsive. I'm also unable to upload files.

ets Jun 8 2016 00:22:57

rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
    configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
    clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
    mode:DIO, clock div:1
    load:0x3fff8020,len:8
    load:0x3fff8028,len:2128
    load:0x4009fa00,len:19760
    entry 0x400a05bc

Uploading project (main folder)...
    Safe booting device... (see settings for more info)
    Safe boot failed, uploading anyway.
    Upload failed: timeout. Please reboot your device manually.

Any help with what to try next?

Thanks,
    Devan

• @d-alvrzx this seems to have the application running thanks! smac does not appear to apply to GPy. Won't know more until I get the modem running I guess...

Thanks again,
    Devan

• It seems to me that the firmware was not uploaded correctly for some reason, and that's why it's not booting. You could attempt using the cli tool for pycom-fwtool, which is in the same directory as the GUI tool and is called pycom-fwtool-cli. Simply download the firmware version you want from here and flash it using pycom-fwtool-cli.exe -p <your_COM> flash -t <name_of_fw_file_you_downloaded>.

If that still doesn't work, you might want to erase the board completely first by executing pycom-fwtool-cli.exe -p <your_COM> erase_all. This will erase everything from the board's flash, including the past firmware, and you could then attempt re-flashing it.

Note: I am not familiar with GPy, only with LoPy4. In the LoPy4, I usually run the smac command on the cli tool before performing erase_all, so that I can restore the LPWAN MAC address in the board afterwards. I think this is only the case for the LoPy4, since the GPy only has the LTE-M modem. Anyways, wouldn't hurt to run a smac command before erase_all, just in case there's any info there. If there's no any info, you should get SMAC=FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF in response.

Pycom on Twitter