Pysense 2 with GPy: failed to get prompt

• I have previous successful experience with GPy and Pytrack 2, see for instance https://github.com/johnedstone/pycom-gpy
    Next, I started with a Pysense 2, and upgraded the firmware successfully. I then attached the GPy as I had done with the Pytrack.
    My system sees the attached device, but there is no python prompt (REPL) either using the Atom editor or the linux command screen.
    I redid the firmware, succussfully. Rebooted my linux laptop. Power cycled the Pysense. Pressed the "safe boot" button on the Pysense. Yet there is no python prompt. I suspect the board is dead. It's a brand new board from Moser Electronics.
    Is there anything else that I can try?
    Here is the output from lsusb:

lsusb -s 001:011
    Bus 001 Device 011: ID 04d8:f012 Microchip Technology, Inc. Pysense

• You are welcome. :) Now we need to get back to the problem. It may be stuck on a mode somehow. I will investigate this, talk to my friends and try to get back to you within next week.

• @Yusuf-BAYLAV Woo Hoo!! the terminal echo back what I typed. Now, .... what's the next step? (Thank you)

• @Edward-Johnstone Hello again Edward.
    There is one way of testing, to prove that your board is alive or damaged.
    You may take apart your development module from the expansion board; short TX and RX pins with the help of a cable.

If you see an echo back from the serial console (whatever you type) that means the board is alive. Otherwise, there must be an unfortunate damage.

Best,
    Yusuf

• @Yusuf-BAYLAV okay, thanks, ... it will be interesting if I can revive it : )

• @Edward-Johnstone Hello, sorry with what you are facing. As all the boards a tested before having shipped this may be a rare situation. I doubt that may be affected from something peripheral. Anyways, we will investigate and try to come to you with a solution. It is just the beginning of the week, and you are on the queue.

Thanks,

• @Edward-Johnstone The second Pysense 2 arrived today. It worked with the GPy "out of the box". Then I updated the firmware (see below) and it continues to work. This leads me to believe that the failure with the first Pysense 2 that I purchased was not caused by the firmware upgrade that I did. I still have no clue why the first Pysense 2 board is not responding - maybe just a bad board?

sudo dfu-util -D ~/Downloads/pysense2_v16.dfu 
    dfu-util 0.9

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
    Copyright 2010-2016 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
    This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
    Please report bugs to http://sourceforge.net/p/dfu-util/tickets/

Match vendor ID from file: 04d8
    Match product ID from file: f011
    Opening DFU capable USB device...
    ID 04d8:f011
    Run-time device DFU version 0100
    Claiming USB DFU Runtime Interface...
    Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
    dfu-util: WARNING: Runtime device already in DFU state ?!?
    Claiming USB DFU Interface...
    Setting Alternate Setting #0 ...
    dfuIDLE, continuing
    DFU mode device DFU version 0100
    Device returned transfer size 64
    Copying data from PC to DFU device
    Download	[=========================] 100%        16384 bytes
    Download done.
    state(2) = dfuIDLE, status(0) = No error condition is present
    Done!

Note: after confirming the above, I asked Mouser Electronics for a return/refund for this first purchase that appears to be dead. They immediately credited my account and did not require me to send the bad board back! Nice!!
    Note, again: I suppose if you have a previous firmware I can try that, but beyond that I'm willing to assume it was just a bad board - unless you have other ideas.

• @Yusuf-BAYLAV thanks .... I have another one arriving today or tomorrow, I'm interested in attaching the GPy before and then after I upgrade the firmware on the Pysense 2. The first one I just flashed it as soon as I got it. It will be interesting to know if the next one that is arriving soon works before, but not after, upgrading the firmware.

• Dear Edward,

I will be discussing this situation with our teams and provide you an information accordingly.

Have a nice one,

• @Edward-Johnstone Here is a similar post, though 2018, https://forum.pycom.io/topic/3596/pysense-not-working-with-lopy4/3, though there doesn't seem to be a fix here for me :(

• @Edward-Johnstone Does anyone know where to get a previous version of the firmware for the Pysense 2. Currently I've flashed it with pysense2_v16.dfu .. see below

$ sudo dfu-util -D pysense2_v16.dfu 
    dfu-util 0.9

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
    Copyright 2010-2016 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
    This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
    Please report bugs to http://sourceforge.net/p/dfu-util/tickets/

Match vendor ID from file: 04d8
    Match product ID from file: f011
    Opening DFU capable USB device...
    ID 04d8:f011
    Run-time device DFU version 0100
    Claiming USB DFU Runtime Interface...
    dfu-util: WARNING: Runtime device already in DFU state ?!?
    Claiming USB DFU Interface...
    Setting Alternate Setting #0 ...
    dfuIDLE, continuing
    DFU mode device DFU version 0100
    Device returned transfer size 64
    Copying data from PC to DFU device
    Download	[=========================] 100%        16384 bytes
    Download done.
    state(2) = dfuIDLE, status(0) = No error condition is present
    Done!
    ejstone44@