So GPy is phase-out now what?

• We have a design based on the GPy, on our own board, with our CE and security testing done. But as you may have heard the GPy and a whole bunch of the other OG modules are being discontinued. As I do have a board that is using this module, I have to look for the options. Seems like the new Pycom modules will not have the same footprint. but asking Pycom, I get no answers. And no answers seems like a repeat of the last couple of years of collaboration with Pycom to be honest. So I am thinking to myself, perhaps we should just forget about it, and move on. Start from fresh somewhere else. But that means wasting a lot of money and energy. So I understand this is not the typcial post in a tech forum, but as Pycom is silent (well, they can fill out the blanks here of course) I just need to ask if anyone knows anything more about the footprint of the new modules? If you happen to know a good, viable option to the GPy that I can look at instead? Hopefully with a little bit more focus on longevity and collaboration. Thanks for participating in the discussion.

• Hi,

Just for reference, our GPy replacement Walter is going live on Crowd Supply very soon. We already tested with some beta testers and you can read the review in this topic: https://forum.pycom.io/topic/7748/the-future-of-pycom/32

For everybody interested, this is the Crowd Supply link: https://www.crowdsupply.com/dptechnics/walter

• @techykermit said in So GPy is phase-out now what?:

The new hardware will work with the old code after some pin adjustments etc.

Which means: expect major porting effort.

I guess the new hardware is what they announce as the F01 series, for which there is an offer for a development pack. The new hardware looks promising on paper, using the STM F7xx as hardware and Murata radio devices. Let's see how Pycom manages the firmware.

• I saw PyCom now provided some more information about the phase-out process:
    https://pycom.io/hardware-end-of-life-announcement/
    https://pycom.io/pycom-hardware-roadmap-qa/

Tl;dr is basically that the current hardware will be phased out by December 2022 and there will be time to place one last order from PyCom. The new hardware will work with the old code after some pin adjustments etc. (according to PyCom themselves). You can now program the hardware using C++ too.

There isn't, however, any information on how the new boards will work electrically and they state that the board size will be slightly bigger than the GPy.

• @Thomas-Millard Good that you responded to my post. It seems like the new module has a different footprint, so there is no hot-swappable solution ahead. Perhaps we can produce such a thing based on the OEM-modules if you are interested, would probably be cheaper if we can share costs?

• I also produce a product that is reliant upon the Gpy. We are looking for stock and then have the big question of the next step. Is there a replacement product? Will it still use python and the same capability or compatibility? Will it fit our current board design?

This does seem like a product that will be important moving forward and not just for my company but... A plug and go replacement will be ideal and I would welcome any input or feedback that includes viable suggestions.
    Thanks to all of you pioneers!

• Thanks @robert-hh for your excellent support through the years! I had my battles and at this point all problems are solved. When moving to a new platform I will most likely have to do all CE and safety tests again. I am evaluating moving to another platform, however if I can get more tech info from Pycom and a road map I can possibly change my mind. However my mails to the sales address remains unanswered, hence my reaction here.

• @Don-iot Looking at the pictures, the new F01 H7 modules fit on a M.2 formatted carrier board. According to the pictures, it looks like a 60x22 mm M.2 board.
    Whether you can expect Pycom to deliver a different service than in the past years is up to you. In my experience hardware was well manufactured and worked reliable, once it was available. What always was lacking was a consistent software development and support.

Pycom on Twitter