Shinyei PPD42NS particle sensor

• Anyone tried to attach the Shinyei PPD42NS sensor to a Pycom device?
    It would be interesting to compare the results of this sensor with say a PMS5003 particle sensor on a Pycom device.

It is a very cheap sensor that can be used to measure air quality in a crude way.

alt text

More info here and here.

• 0_1497383994430_20170613_215443_HDR_klein.jpg
    Arrived in time for the hackaton this Saturday. :)

• @RobTuDelft Hi Rob, if you want the added info of particle size, you really do need to monitor both PWM outputs, but if you only plan on monitoring a single pin, then monitor the small particles pin.

I do take the duration of low pulse width on each pin into account too, at a resolution of 1ms.
    The Amphenol sensor that I am using, I have noticed does not produce pulses narrower than 1ms

• @Shaun The pulse width is also an indicator for particle size. So you could add counters based on the pulse length even with just one PWM output. Something I will test later.

• I have been running a unit for a couple of weeks now.
    I hacked it onto an existing application PCB I developed around a WiPy.

The unit I use has 2x PWM outputs, one for larger particles and one for smaller particles

I am displaying real time readings, an exponential running average and a resettable peak hold.

0_1496567840949_20170604_110438.jpg

• @RobTuDelft not just different nane, but also different price. I ordered 2 for €8,88 incl. shipping via AliExpress.
    The grove connector is nice for the Marvin though.

• Fyi, I'm using a LD1117A voltage regulator on the digital PWM input signal. It drops it from 4.5V to about 2.5V, which is enough for it to be a high signal on the Lopy.

My readings are around 400 pcs/0.01cf in the office.

I have resolved a few bugs in the code, so be sure to use the latest version from my Github.

@PiAir did you know you can also order them in the Netherlands under a different name?

• @PiAir Sure, will bring it :)

• Cool, nice to collect other data than just temperature and humidity. I ordered one (two) from AliExpress, probably won't be here in time for Eindhoven, but maybe you can bring your setup and demonstrate it then? :)

• I have created a library for this particulate matter sensor based on the Arduino code if anyone is interested.
    You can find the code here.

Sensor needs to be connected to 4.75 - 5.25 V and you need to drop the voltage for the input port.

If you have any comments or questions let me know.

Looks like your connection to Pycom Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.