Max power voltage?

• Re: Max power voltage?

I tried with the Pololu, powering the lopy directly on the 3V3 pin and the result is the internal DC-DC converter fried. So I broke the LoPy.
    For solve the problem I removed all the powering circuit on the LoPy (U5 T1 L2).

link text

• @Officina I just tried running the device with 3.3 V on Vin, and it works. At the moment, the DC in is at 2.95 V, and still running. According to the data sheet of the regulator, it goes into a bypass mode if the input voltage is too low, and that's what I wanted to confirm.
    So it looks as if is more safe to run with a low Voltage on Vin.

• @Officina
    Then better use OEM modules
    https://www.pycom.io/webshop#oem-products
    they do not include Voltage regulator and many other things

• @robert-hh but I have a 6V solar panel that can be 7V in direct sun illumination. For me is not a good idea use two dc-dc converter for powering a pycom, one from 7V to 5V and the internal one from 5V to 3v3

• @daniel: reading this experience and that of some other user, the note about using the 3.3v as power input seems not appropriate. instead, you should declare it as output only.

• @livius I have the same issue on 4 pycom ( 3 lopy and 1 sipy), so I removed all the regulators.
    On the lopy with regulator and powering on 3v3 the drain was about 100mA without anything running, and on sipy 2A.

• @Officina
    Good to hear that board is ok - with only regulator removed :)

• @robert-hh without U5 T1 L2 and power on 3v3 is working good. In deepsleep mode without any sensors is 2.77mA and in lora TX about 130-140mA (wifi and BT disabled)

• @Officina There were other people who also had problems in driving the device from the 3.3V Pin. Since that is intended as output, I personally was always skeptic about powering by the 3.3V Pin. Is the Lopy now still working, when supplied through the 3.3 V Pin?

P.S. There is a Pololu device variant which has an variable output, which uses the same PCB as yours, just with a potentiometer soldered to the three pad at the end of the PCB. Even with your device, you could change the voltage by adding a resistor to the middle and one of the end pads.

• Yes, I used this one:
    link text

• @Officina
    On 3V3 pin you must have exactly 3V3 regulated and ripple free.
    On 5V pin you can have max 5V5 but documentation for LM3281 state absolute maximum 6V

Looks like your connection to Pycom Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.