Support for WiPY 1 in pymakr

• I tried to ceonnect a WiPy 1 to pymakr. The Wipy is configured as AP with the default settings for user and password. I can access it with Telnet and FTP, using these credentials and IP address. Nevertheless, pymakr refuses to connect. I get the error message:

"Error while communicating with the Pycom device"

Whatever that means.

• Hi @robert-hh,

I notified Daniel about this issue. He told me he got an email from Damien. I'll ask him for an status update. If you can wait until we release the source code for the LoPy, you'll be able to extract the file ;) .

Best Regards, Abilio

• Hello @abilio. Is there any chance that pycom will fox that issue during the day, before the next build of Micropython for WiPy 1? If you do not have the time, you could proved the version of telnet.c which supports pymakr, and someone form the community (e.g. me) will integrate that.

Bets Regards, Robert

• Hello @abilio, The difference is obviously the handling of AYT (Are You There) messages. Pymakr sends these to wipy and other telnet connected devices. Version 1.3 from the pycom website serves these messages, whereas the 1.8.x versions from the Micropython web sites don't do that.
    So either the WiPy source on the micropython site has to be changed, or pymakr.

I verified that by changing pymakr: at line 290 in file /usr/share/pymakr/modules/Plugins/PycomDevice/pyboard.py there is a function keep_alive(). If you change that to return True in any case (like it's the case for serial communication), pymakr runs with the firmware versions from the micropython web sites.

Please update your SW before Nov. 10, since then be a new Version of micropython is planned, and Damien is expecting this fix for CC3200.

Best Regards, Robert

• As these WiPy 1.0 firmwares have release 1.2.0 instead of 1.3.0.

• @robert-hh said in Support for WiPY 1 in pymakr:

Version 1.8.2 from the Wipy github https://github.com/wipy/wipy/releases works
    Version 1.8.5 from the Micropython site does not. If you changed the code, please take care that the Micropython site is kept updated, since this is according to Daniel the official site for WiPy 1.0 Firmware.

WiPy MicroPython v1.8.2-1.8.5 from the MicroPython site don't work with Pymakr.

• @robert-hh, I think you found the reason. I believe the telnet.c file implements some extra telnet commands, and the file in the Micropython site missed that change. I've taken note of the inconsistency. Thanks :)

• Version 1.8.2 from the Wipy github https://github.com/wipy/wipy/releases works
    Version 1.8.5 from the Micropython site does not. If you changed the code, please take care that the Micropython site is kept updated, since this is according to Daniel the official site for WiPy 1.0 Firmware.

Kind Regards

• Hi @robert-hh. Thanks for your report on the finding. In order to help you out further, can you please provide me with further info on the initial test setup. Which firmware version was the board running? There were changes introduced to the telnet server a few months ago, and if the board firmware doesn't support them, Pymakr will refuse to connect.

Regards,

• Found something: The firmware in https://github.com/wipy/wipy/releases connects. I did test with the most recent version form the micropython branch..
    Please determine, what the technical difference is, since the micrpython branch is actively maintained.

Pycom on Twitter