UART

• Hooked up an FTDI USB/3_3 TTL cable to P3 and P4 as described in the quickref. I tried the command uart = UART(1, baudrate=9600) and get resource not available. Then, I discovered that uart is already a variable. Looked at boot.py and it reads

'# boot.py -- run on boot-up\r\nimport os\r\nfrom machine import UART\r\nuart = UART(0, 115200)\r\nos.dupterm(uart)\r\n'

Not the same port as defined in quickref and I do not get any characters on the USB/serial interface, nor can I type any.

• OK. So I updated the firmware using the same FTDI cable attached to P0 (RX) and P1 (TX), with jumper for safe mode. Am now at release 0.9.3.b2, version d78a5a3 2016-11-05. uart shows up as 0 at 115200, which is the REPL port. Was able to hook the FTDI cable up to P3 (TX) and P4 (RX) and create a uart1 object using uart1=UART(1, baudrate=115200). I was able to send characters to the port and receive from it.

What I really wanted was the REPL port though, so I switched the FTDI cable back to P0 and P1 and it is working as expected.

• @ubiq_01 Thanks. I am looking at the pinout released this weekend. It shows UART0 RX on P0 and UART0 TX on P1. I see no UART function on P3 and P4..

• Pybytes Beta

I made an annotated photo of a working setup. Please see https://twitter.com/_rac01/status/795201584846217216

best regards
    Ralf

• Can't try anything until Mon. morning when I get back to work. Board is at work and only connects to my laptop, which is now at home.

• Global Moderator

Are you using the latest firmware version? MicroPython 7713d55 on 2016-10-28 release='0.9.2.b2'? I only have a LoPy so this might be something specific to the WiPy2?

I've been working with SPI and I2C the last few days and they've been working as expected. I also did some UART1 tests earlier today and also didn't have any problems. I wouldn't image there being any difference in the UART module between LoPy and WiPy 2 as they both use the same chip.

• Tried both ways with fTDI RX & TX to WiPy RX & TX. Still nothing. Tried other variations of UART(x, baudrate=9600), using different values of x. Always throws resource not available exception. I have not been able to do anything useful with the board so far. I need 1-wire, I2C and analogs to work. UART is useful for debugging.

• Global Moderator

It's a bad choice in the example... replace uart (the lower case ones) with uart1.

Also I think the TX and RX pins should be the other way around. TX on the FTDI to P3 and RX to P4

Looks like your connection to Pycom Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.