Analog fast plotting

• Hi all
    I am reading an analog input on my Wipy, printing out the value and plotting the values on my Mac via serial. I would like to know what is the fastest rate at which I can read/plot in this way?

My analysis: https://github.com/robmarkcole/Useful-python-for-medical-physics/blob/master/Experiments in ipython notebooks/Serial/Read from serial 26-9-2017.ipynb

My wipy code:

import pycom
    import machine
    from machine import Pin

# Piezo sensor
    adc = machine.ADC()
    apin = adc.channel(pin='P16',attn=3)

while True:
      print(apin()/1000)

• @robert-hh thank you for your insight, will explore those options.
    Cheers!

• @robmarkcole There are a few limiting factors, one of them is the serial transmission at 115200 Baud, which is about 10000 characters/second. If your messages with the test values are 10 bytes long each (dont forget the CCR-LF), then it's about 1000 messages/second. The other factor is the Python script itself to capture the analog data and send it. For better precision, that capturing should be done by a timer interrupt, writing to a circular buffer. But that would result in a 300µs jitter. The fastest timer interrupt you can set is 1 ms, or 1000 samples/s.
    I've done a similar thing on a ESP8266, which included communication with an external I2C ADC (ADS1115) and updates to a local SPI OLED every second. The fastest I could get was 250 samples/s. Since the ESP32 is somewhat faster, in total at least 500 samples/s seem achievable.
    If communication speed is the limiting factor, you can set the UART to faster speed, like 460800 Baud, if the MAC can handle that.
    Other options:

• Set up a WiFi link, which is faster.
    • Use binary data transmission instead of printable characters and do the pretty print at the Mac

Pycom on Twitter

Looks like your connection to Pycom Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.