wipy as a wifi device sensor

• Hi,

I have maybe a bit of a strange question.

I would like to use the wipy (version 1) to scan the surroundings for devices passing by that are looking for an wifi accespoint.
    I would only like to capture their SSID broadcast passively so I can measure how many devices(people) are passing by.
    The intention is to monitor crowd control and people carriing a mobile device.

Can this be done? Any pointers welcome!

EDIT: I can do a WLAN.scan() but this gives me only the available accaess points, I would like to see if a device tries to connect to a SSID the device already knows

Thx

hugo

• I think that a good starting point is something that was already developed
    for the esp866:

WiFiBeaconJam

Wifi-MiniSniff

So what i have understood is that a couple of things are needed:
    1- Promiscuous mode
    2- Switching channel every a fixed amount of time, and listen if something is coming from every channel.

I wonder that the above two steps have to be implemented through the esp32 sdk.

A reasonable amount of work is done here:

esp32-promiscuos-mode

esp32-promiscuos git-hub

My question is, how can i get the code implemented and then accessible from Pymark?
    Thanks,
    Giulio

• @hugo said in wipy as a wifi device sensor:

@Ralph Thank you for your response,
    can you point out what would be needed for this to be possible with a wipy?
    is it a hardware constraint, if so that is ful stop for me
    if it is software (even firmware) I would be willing to investigate and see if I can thinker with it... maybe building a custom firmware myself...

hugo

Yes you probably have to customize the firmware to add sniffer mode and then support it from the micropython layer.

https://e2e.ti.com/support/wireless_connectivity/simplelink_wifi_cc31xx_cc32xx/f/968/t/354462

• @Ralph Thank you for your response,
    can you point out what would be needed for this to be possible with a wipy?
    is it a hardware constraint, if so that is ful stop for me
    if it is software (even firmware) I would be willing to investigate and see if I can thinker with it... maybe building a custom firmware myself...

hugo

• Hi @hugo ,

Not a strange question at all, but at this point, it can't be done. It might be included in some future firmware update, but I can't promise anything. It will need some research before we even decide if we are going to implement it.

Looks like your connection to Pycom Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.