Fipy reporting as LoPy after firmware update

• I just noticed while trying to workout why I could not import the LTE library that my FiPy, which I just got last month, is reporting itself as a LoPy.

I thought maybe I did not upgrade the firmware correctly when I first got it, so I downloaded the most recent update tool and just upgraded the firmware to the latest as of today and it is still reporting as a LoPy and not letting me have access to the LTE library (gives an import error as if I mistyped the library name)

>>> os.uname()
    (sysname='LoPy4', nodename='LoPy4', release='1.16.0.b1', version='v1.8.6-849-055728a on 2018-02-13', machine='LoPy4 with ESP32', lorawan='1.0.0', sigfox='1.0.1')

I looked through the forums and it appears it should show up as a FiPy. And yes the physical device is a FiPy with the correct brandings and physical hardware devices. So given that I do need to use LTE, is there something I have done wrong and more importantly, something I can do to make the firmware register as a FiPy?

• @xykon said in Fipy reporting as LoPy after firmware update:

MAC address will get lost

Actually that's what I did, erasing the devices (or never updating them via the updater tool), leading to a LRA Mac of all FF's. So I think I have to write an E-mail to Pycom for set of numbers.

• administrators

@robert-hh said in Fipy reporting as LoPy after firmware update:

It was my impression, that by building the firmware yourself you can load any firmware to a device. Though, it might not work, but what else?

This only applies to the firmware update tool which is retrieving the device details from an online service that keeps a record of each device.

Users are free to load whatever firmware they desire onto their boards and we do not impose any restrictions.

One thing users should be mindful about is that our LoRa and Sigfox devices come with the LPWAN MAC address programmed into the flash memory of the device. This address is being recorded into the database during the first firmware update. If a user erases his board before upgrading for the first time, this MAC address will get lost and a user would have to contact us to request a new address for the board.

Another thing worth noting is that Sigfox users are required to use firmware update tool at least once to get their device activated for the Sigfox network.

• @xykon said in Fipy reporting as LoPy after firmware update:

change their board type for security reasons

It was my impression, that by building the firmware yourself you can load any firmware to a device. Though, it might not work, but what else?

• administrators

@nathanh You either ran into a bug in the firmware updater tool or accidentally chose the wrong board during the first upgrade.

As we cannot currently allow users to change their board type for security reasons, please run the following commands on your board:

import machine,binascii                                                     
    binascii.hexlify(machine.unique_id())

Please either send the result to support@pycom.io or via personal message directly to me and I will update your board in the database to receive the correct firmware.

Pycom on Twitter