W01 (2.0 equivalent) not executing boot.py and main.py

• I recently bought a W01, which should be equivalent to the wipy 2.0. I integrated it and it works fine, except it never executes the boot.py and main.py on startup. I can execute them myself from the REPL with execfile without issues. It should not be safebooting, P12 is connected to ground.

I've tried resetting the device with machine.reset(), using only a minimal boot.py (just turning off the wifi), and connecting outside of pymakr. Neither file is ever executed automatically, even though they're present.

Running everything manually is getting very tiresome, any help is appreciated.

• @dan Updating the firmware fixed the problem! Both main.py and boot.py run on restart. Thank you :)

• Hi @alexpul 👋

Could you update your firmware to the latest version? (v1.18.1.r1) Have you tried running just a simple example (e.g. changing LED) to see if that works?

• @euphorbia I am having the same problem with my Pytrack (with WiPy) not executing boot.py or main.py on start up but being able to execute the files using the execfile() command. My system (same as what you posted):

(sysname='WiPy', nodename='WiPy', release='1.7.0.b1', version='v1.8.6-621-g17ee404e on 2017-05-25', machine='WiPy with ESP32')

Did you ever get your system to work?

• @robert-hh Thanks, I'll try updating via UART, hadn't tried that yet.

• @euphorbia I do not have a W01, but updating through UART0 should be possible, if you connect P2 to GND and reset the device, like using expansion board 2. You can verify download more by open the terminal with REPL and then reset while P" is connected to GND. You should see a message like:

rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x3 (DOWNLOAD_BOOT(UART0/UART1/SDIO_REI_REO_V2))
    waiting for download

I am pretty confident the you checked P12 to be really and GND level.

• I'm sure the file is uploaded, because I can input execfile('boot.py') into the REPL, and it will work. I've tried a lot of different files, some just consisting of a print command or turning the wifi off. For example:

from network import WLAN
    wlan = WLAN()
    wlan.deinit()
    print("thisisboot")

When I run this with the execfile command, the wifi is turned of and the message is printed, but neither happens on boot.

Here's the os.uname() output:

(sysname='WiPy', nodename='WiPy', release='1.7.0.b1', version='v1.8.6-621-g17ee404e on 201
    7-05-25', machine='WiPy with ESP32')

I tried updating the firmware with the tool, but I think it's not meant for the W01, as it says the packet header is invalid.

• Hi @Euphorbia,

Which firmware version do you have (run os.uname() in REPL)? Are you sure the files are uploaded to the board? Could you upload your boot.py?

Pycom on Twitter