New CAT-M1 & NB-IoT Firmware (10 July 2018) Upgrade Failure

• Hello all,

I'm currently using GPy
    I noticed that there are updates on the firmware as of today 10 July 2018:
    https://software.pycom.io/downloads/sequans.html

I successfully performed update with the new CAT-M1 fw (36417.dup) as in below log:

Deploying the upgrade (DO NOT DISCONNECT POWER!!!)...
    	Resetting (DO NOT DISCONNECT POWER!!!).
    	Upgrade completed!
    	Here's the current firmware version:
    	UE5.0.0.0d
    	LR5.1.1.0-36417

When I tried to continue upgrading with the new NB-IoT fw (NB1-37365.dup)
    The process got stuck at this point (Resetting...) for more than 10 minutes:

>>> sqnsupgrade.run('/sd/FIPY_GPY_NB1-37365.dup', 921600)
    <<< Welcome to the SQN3330 firmware updater >>>
    Entering recovery mode
    Resetting..
    Starting STP (DO NOT DISCONNECT POWER!!!)
    STP started
    Session opened: version 1, max transfer 8192 bytes
    Sending 5050226 bytes: [########################################] 100%
    Code download done, returning to user mode
    Resetting (DO NOT DISCONNECT POWER!!!)..
    Resetting (DO NOT DISCONNECT POWER!!!)...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
      File "/flash/lib/sqnsupgrade.py", line 168, in run
      File "/flash/lib/sqnsupgrade.py", line 75, in wait_for_modem
    KeyboardInterrupt:

Anyone got the same issue?

Cheers!

• @xykon Can you list what bands are now supported? I've tried Band 8 using addscanfreq, but the device does not search for a network: CEREG is stuck at 0, "not registered, MT is not currently searching an operator to register to".

• @danielm said in New CAT-M1 & NB-IoT Firmware (10 July 2018) Upgrade Failure:

@xykon
    Any estimation for implementation of PSM and eDRX?

@administrators any updates on this?

• @xykon

are there any release notes for the new firmware.
    is there already support for guard-band networks?

is there a list of what networks are supported?

• @le_wildfox said in New CAT-M1 & NB-IoT Firmware (10 July 2018) Upgrade Failure:

@xykon Fantastic! Gonna try to upgrade now. Will comeback with the result.

Upgrade looks good:

>>> import sqnsupgrade
    	>>> sqnsupgrade.run('/sd/FIPY_GPY_NB1_37781.dup', 921600)
    	<<< Welcome to the SQN3330 firmware updater >>>
    	Entering recovery mode
    	Resetting..

Starting STP (DO NOT DISCONNECT POWER!!!)
    	STP started
    	Session opened: version 1, max transfer 8192 bytes
    	Sending 5257738 bytes: [########################################] 100%
    	Code download done, returning to user mode
    	Resetting (DO NOT DISCONNECT POWER!!!)........................................
    	Upgrade completed!
    	Here's the current firmware version:
    	UE6.0.0.0
    	LR6.0.0.0-37781
            OK

@Xykon Is there any change on sequence to connect? Or is it still the same as previous version? I have something like the below snippet, but haven't had the chance to try in the actual NB-IoT network. I have to go to Vodafone's lab to test it. Looking forward for your suggestion.
    Thanks.

print("Trying to connect to nb-IoT network...")

send_at_cmd_pretty('AT+CFUN=0')
        send_at_cmd_pretty('AT!="clearscanconfig"')
        send_at_cmd_pretty('AT!="addscanfreq band=20 dl-earfcn=6253"') #band & earfcn
        send_at_cmd_pretty('AT!="zsp0:npc 1"')
        send_at_cmd_pretty('AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","nb.inetd.gdsp"') #apn
        send_at_cmd_pretty('AT+CFUN=1')

try:
            while not lte.isattached():
                time.sleep(1)
                print('Attaching to network. Status: ')
                send_at_cmd_pretty('AT+CEREG?')

lte.connect()

while not lte.isconnected():
                time.sleep(1)
                print('Establishing bearer...')```

• @xykon
    Any estimation for implementation of PSM and eDRX?

• @xykon Fantastic! Gonna try to upgrade now. Will comeback with the result.

• administrators

A new NB-IOT firmware 37781 is now available. I have also updated the upgrade scripts so please make sure you fetch the latest version.

• @kevin

Thanks for responding.
    Absolutely agree, I also tried couple time. Looks like this part seems to be the cause:

After this part, reset always failed.
    As in your case, I also had to do manual hard reset ( by sending AT^RESET) then downgrade the NB-IoT FW back to 35351.dup

Not sure what to do next then. Waiting for official announcement and/or fix?

• @le_wildfox Yes, I have the same issue, as you also saw in https://forum.pycom.io/topic/2902/cellular-radio-firmware-release-sqn3330-for-both-cat-m1-and-nb-iot/43. I'm replying here since it is a newer thread.

I tried the upgrade several different ways (from SD card, from PC, starting from various baseline FWs, etc.), but always with the same result.

Manually stepping through the sequence in sqnsupgrade.py, I see that the AT^RESET which follows AT+SMUPGRADE does not return the expected result. There is never a +SHUTDOWN response, which is why the script hangs. I guess the new FW did not load correctly? After a power-cycle, many AT commands do not work (including ATI1), I have to re-load the older FW.

Pycom on Twitter