Guru meditation error

• Hi, I have a handful of Wipys that have been running the past days sending stuff to AWS IoT using the builtin MQTT library.

One died quickly with

Guru Meditation Error: Core 1 panic'ed (Unknown reason)
    Register dump:
    Guru Meditation Error: Core 1 panic'ed (Guru Meditation Error: Core 1 panic'ed (Unknown reason)
    Register dump:
    Guru Meditation Error: Core 1 panic'ed (Unhandled kernel exception)
    Register dump:
    Guru Meditation Error: Core 1 panic'ed (Unhandled kernel exception)
    Register dump:

Any clue what this could be? There are six other modules running fine.

• Martin

• Update: It seems I am getting the crashes only when I have my pysense/wipy connected via USB. I have around 12-15 units running in various setups; those running standalone (battery connection only) seem to do fine, those with USB fail regularly.

• The device was in a loop, reading data via a serial interface, reading from the pysense and sending it to AWS IoT (using the builtin module). It was powered from a USB hub with external supply.

• I presume the board has a decent stable source of power?

Not sure why the WDT failed to reboot it. do you have any other info about what it was likely to be doing at the time?

• I should add that this happened although I activated the watchdog. So it seems the watchdog does not catch this; it seems the wdt functionality is not using the ESP32 watchdogs.
    BTW interesting to see that other users reporting this problem are working with the AWS IoT library. Is it the threads module causing problems?
    Anyway it seems one needs an external hardware watchdog if you don't want the Wipy to hang up.

Pycom on Twitter