optimizing wifi range

• Hi, this is my first post so hello everyone!

I'm fairly new to Wi-Fi, so please forgive any dumb questions..

My main question is: how can I achieve the maximum range with a WiPy. Data rate and power conservation aren't a priority. I can use a standard external antenna on the AP but STA must use internal.

In this context:

• is there a practical difference in effective range between the IEEE 802.11 b, g and n protocols? Also, is network.phy_mode([mode]) available on WiPy/LoPy/ESP32? I can try this myself, but still interested in any comments.
    • does channel selection impact on range, or only on data rate? Intuitively, the lower frequency channel will have better range, but is there any real difference across the available bandwidth? Also, what are some good heuristics for optimizing channel selection in code?
    • finally, is WiFi-ah anywhere on the pycom roadmap?

Cheers,
    bitrat

• Hi,

'Optimizing the wifi range' is such a broad, heavily researched topic, that I cannot provide a definitive answer there. It all has to do with your environment (reflections, obstacles, weather conditions, antenna orientation etc.) There is many articles out there on the web that suggest (sometimes contradicting) options to extend the range of your WiFi network. There is a power setting that you can tweak on the pycom module (https://docs.pycom.io/firmwareapi/pycom/network/wlan/#wlanmax_tx_powerpower) and changing the physical mode (b / g / n) can also have some effect.

Concerning the range extenders, as long as they support the 802.11 b, g and/or n type, you should be fine.

Gijs

• Sorry for bumping such an old thread but have you found the solution. I have the same issue. Also, I am going to buy a new WiFi Range Extender and have found some options at https://themybuy.com/best-wifi-range-extenders/. Think between TP-Link 300Mbps and NETGEAR Wi-Fi Range Extender EX2700. Will they work with WiPy without any conflicts?

• Hi @bitrat, I moved your topic to the correct section

Pycom on Twitter