Serial USB Issue on Linux

• I'm using a FiPy + Pytrack, connected to a Nvidia Jetson TX2 Developer Kit. I do my FiPy Micropython development in Atom on my Mac.

I've been looking into how to communicate with the FiPy over USB, as I already have WiFi and LoRa working.

My issue is that when I plug the Pycom module into the TX2 USB port, it does not show up under /dev/ttyUSB#. However, it does show up under /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Pycom_**********. In fact, I can receive data using 'screen' to this location, and in c++ send and receive data using iostream.

My question is why is the Pycom not appearing as /dev/ttyUSB# as is clearly stated should happen in documentation, and can I fix it? Otherwise, is the complicated device ID under /dev/serial/by-id/ stable and portable between computers, and non-unique between different FiPy modules and/or Pytrack or other expansion boards?

• @DavidGW Hope you are doing well. That's sound cool. I kinda need something similar. I was wondering, if the script/ code is available publicly. If not, would you be happy to share it? If that's fine.

Yours Sincerely,
    Vijay

• @bitvijays said in Serial USB Issue on Linux:

Hey @DavidGW Thank you for message. Also, just wanted to ask, were you able to use FiPy as a network adapter to provide network (Wi-Fi/ LoRa/ SigFox/ LTE) to Jetson Nano. Probably, the answer to the your question https://forum.pycom.io/topic/4955/fipy-used-as-wifi-adapter/1?_=1589562919297

Nothing neat. I've got a Python3 script running on the Jetson that forwards messages to and from UDP sockets to interface with other applications I am writing on the Jetson. This Python3 script also forwards or receives messages via UART from the FiPy.

On the FiPy, a similar script interfaces with any cellular, wifi or LoRa messages which are received or are to be sent, as well as communicating messages with the Jetson via its UART connection. It's basically just a combination of Python Serial and Socket packages. Nothing that would allow any normal connection to the internet for the host, but it works to relay messages and data packets from one Jetson to another, which is what I need.

• Hey @DavidGW Thank you for message. Also, just wanted to ask, were you able to use FiPy as a network adapter to provide network (Wi-Fi/ LoRa/ SigFox/ LTE) to Jetson Nano. Probably, the answer to the your question https://forum.pycom.io/topic/4955/fipy-used-as-wifi-adapter/1?_=1589562919297

• This post is deleted!

• Thanks for the replies.

@robert-hh I've solved the problem running on both Jetson TX2s and Nanos by wiring it up directly to UART pins using an Expansion board. Might think about scrapping the carrier board and just going direct to the FiPy, as the Expansion board is doing nothing right now except providing accessible ports. It was more hassle, but I have a better solution now.

@bitvijays I can program the FiPys just fine using USB-UART on my mac. I have been sending and receiving data from them using WiFi, communicating between multiple FiPys using LoRa, and am now doing the same with LTE-M1. Now I'm using non-USB UART on the Jetsons, I am also communicating successfully over UART to send and relay data.

• This post is deleted!

• @DavidGW said in Serial USB Issue on Linux:
    The name of the serial device under which you see the FiPy is different for the various Operating systems and USB/UART interface boards. The device name /dev/ttyUSB# is only available on Unix and some USB/UART bridges. Using Pytrack, you will see on Linux the Fipy ad /dev/ttyACM#. Using OS X, you have a wide variety of device names. Windows shows them as COMx.
    So just take what works.

Pycom on Twitter