Arduino support on LoPy

• Hello LoPy team and forum,

First time backer of the Lopy on kickstarter, I was pretty enthusiastic about the Arduino compatible goal in the campaign:
    "We'll make LoPy compatible with the Arduino IDE". I did read Pycom comments on the campaign mentioning: "We expect to have everything ready around Arduino by the end of 2016 (as promised during the campaign) or early 2017."

I understand there has been some delays related to ESP32 and still a lot of issues to work with, but at current stage I am quite concerned about the fact I need to learn programming with (Micro)Python to use my LoPy and/or wait until my favorites libraries and code get ported to that language and environnement.

Do you have an estimate on when we can expect to have the LoPy supported on the Arduino IDE ?
    Arduino support even in a beta form like arduino-esp32 code would be interesting.

Also, will the LoRa chip be supported and LoRaWAN with libraries such as LMIC ?

Last question, to some extend, will the Arduino compatibility apply to use Pycom devices such as the SiPy or FiPy ?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

• I was able to run Arduino on FiPy without issues. Should work on the LoPy too: https://forum.pycom.io/topic/3134/using-pycom-boards-with-arduino-ide/1

• @duffo64
    From what I understand (Pycom may see it differently) the Kickstarter goal was to use the Espressif Arduino layer and Pycom would provide Arduino C libraries to the communication side of their boards: LoRa, Sigfox and soon LTE Cat M1/M2

I'd think this is very much still the plan. Can't see why they would give up on providing a layer to an incredible popular platform like the Arduino. That said Python is likely the priority and their focus for the past months.

• @robert-hh said in Arduino support on LoPy:

a) Use the Arduino IDE (like Pymakr now) to code and test your Python scripts
    b) Use the Arduino environment including C/C++ for coding.

Hi,

If they meant a), why a stretch goal trying to raise more money ? To give the 'added value' for using one of the ugliest IDE in the world for coding in Python ? Don't get me wrong, I like Arduino philosophy, but the IDE is way too limited (it's right for not intimidating beginners, tho').

Should (must ?) be b), but whatever you see it, such a stretch goal was 'strange', to say the least, because Espressif is working on Arduino compatibility, not Pycom (happy to be wrong).

• This post is deleted!

• @barsznica said in Arduino support on LoPy:

Even in Python you need to set the frequencies for AU915 operation, because while the standard specifies 72 channels, real world gateways only support 8.

That said Pycom is looking to make this process easier, with some defaults for known networks rather than the full manual process it is now.

The LMIC code isn't all that different.

• @jmarcelino
    That's fair enough of you're in the EU or US, but I don't want to go stuffing around with the multiple settings for other regions (ie AU915).
    PyCom have done it (properly, I assume), so I will look into it again...

• I'm pretty sure you can run the ESP32 Arduino core on any Pycom board

https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp32

For LoRa the arduino-lmic you linked to needs changing because of different DIOx pins used but it shouldn't be a massive job. So looking at it perhaps Arduino can be supported with only a small effort.

I do agree with Robert that Pycom as the name suggest should focus on Python -and there is a lot to be done there. But if Arduino support is simple to add as a community project it doesn't change focus that much. Above all, even above supporting Python, Pycom is about making development as easy as py ;-)

• @barsznica PyMakr new as Plugin for Atom etc.
    If you want to use C/C++, then better start at espressif itself as the primary source. http://espressif.com/en/products/software
    and their github lib:
    https://github.com/espressif
    There you also find an Arduino branch.

• @robert-hh said in Arduino support on LoPy:

Pymakr

I was under the impression that PyMakr is retired.
    I vote for b), "Use the Arduino environment including C/C++ for coding."
    I am interested in continuing to learn (micro)python, but don't see how Arduino IDE and Python work.

• @jsp The question is: what do you expect from "We'll make LoPy compatible with the Arduino IDE"? That could be two things:
    a) Use the Arduino IDE (like Pymakr now) to code and test your Python scripts
    b) Use the Arduino environment including C/C++ for coding.
    I understand the intention was a), since the pycom.io set of products focuses on micropython as THE language to use.
    Assuming option a), there is not benefit in using the Arduino IDE. For this actual purpose, it is in now way better than pymakr + Atom, or the set of basic tools you can use.

• Yep, would be great to know about the roadmap for the Arduino compatibility.

Pycom on Twitter