Clarity on duty cycle.

• Hi Everyone.

I am confused about how duty cycle works. Can I ask some questions to get clarity on some of the things.

1. On the ThingsNetwork page they say “Every radio device must be compliant with the regulated duty cycle limits…In practice, this means that you should program your nodes in such a way, and that they stay within the limits. The easiest way to do this, is to calculate how much airtime each message consumes using one of the many”.

2. So, this means I am the one responsible to program my lopy device not to send data at some point as a way of respecting a duty cycle? What happens if I immediately send data when I was support to wait for another opportunity? Let’s say I was supposed to wait for 50 seconds but then I decide to send my data within 10 seconds. Will that data be dropped or?

3. On a gateway side, for the downlink messages. Let’s the application/network server have a queue of downlink messages that need to be sent on the lopy. If a server sends those message and the device has reached a duty cycle. Will those packets be dropped by a gateway? Or maybe the gateway informs a server that the device has reach a duty cycle, then not to send packet?

4. Finally, What it means to exceed the duty cycle?
      Please be patient with me guys. I need to understand how this work.
      Thanks you very much.

Pycom on Twitter