New Beta Release v1.20.3.b0
Dear Pycom community!
We have a new Beta release available: v1.20.3.b0
This includes a big update of the Espressif IDF from v3.3.1 to v4. The IDF is a foundational piece of our firmware, so this update can impact a lot of things.
Beta means, we do NOT advise you install this on production devices. But if you test this release on your development projects we'd love to hear your feedback! What works better, what has regressed compared to the regular release candidates?
- IDF v4.0
- Updatd the LoRaWAN specification version to 1.0.3 (Class A& C)
- Added support for new regions (CN779, RU864 and KR920.)
- Added BLE Mesh
- Reworked Coap
- WiPy2, SiPy, and LoPy1 and are not supported anymore since they only have 4MB flash.
- WiPy3, LoPy4, FiPy, GPy, W01, L01, L04 and G01 are all supported
- sqnsupdater is removed from this FW due to FW size limits, so you cannot perform updates of the LTE modem firmware while running this development release
- MDNS is removed, also due to FW size limits
You can install this development release with the latest Firmware Updater tool 1.16.4 or download the .tar.gz packages from the docs. The .elf files can be downloaded from here. At this time the source code is not yet publicly available - we're working on that.
Clarification: Originally, I had published this as "Alpha release v1.20.2.a1 for pybytes", however, in order to make all update channels work as they should, the correct version number should have been a "Beta release v1.20.3.b0 for development". This has been corrected now. Nothing changed about the content. Apologies for the back and forth.
So It would need to be added in this folder I assume?
Just adding https://github.com/espressif/esp-dsp as an "esp-dsp" folder in "/components"
What else is needed?
How hard would it be to include the small esp-dsp library in the Pycom ESP-IDF?
"ESP-DSP is intended to be used as an ESP-IDF component."
rcolistete last edited by rcolistete
Any change log of "Firmware Updater" 1.16.4 & 1.16.5 ?
I see a new feature to erase config and nvram.
Does this mean that :
$ pycom-fwtool-cli -p /dev/ttyACM0 erase_all
isn't needed anymore ? (To avoid bugs migrating from firmware v1.18.x)
ok, about the filesizes:
- older firmwares in https://software.pycom.io/downloads/LoPy4.html were without pybytes
- 1.20.2.rc9 and rc10 in this page are the pygate firmwares, so they are bigger (pygate also includes pybytes)
- 1.20.3.b0 is based on IDF4.0. It has pybytes included (no pygate)
- everything in https://software.pycom.io/downloads/pybytes/LoPy4.html is regular FW (ie. with pybytes and without pygate, recent ones based on IDF 3.3.1)
I hope this clarifies it!
@rcolistete Good questions. We should improve our labelling/linking of releases. All three are with Pybytes. This shouldn't have a big impact though, since now there are easy ways to disable Pybytes: check box in the FW Updater tool, and
pycom.pybytes_on_boot(). So it will only consume storage. None of them have anything to do specific with "downgrading". About the sizes, I'm not sure. I can check tomorrow.
rcolistete last edited by
- is 'LoPy4-1.20.3.b0.tar.gz'. Is it without Pybytes ?
- are ''LoPy4-1.20.2.rc9.tar.gz" and ''LoPy4-1.20.2.rc10.tar.gz". Are they without Pybytes ? Because they have different size compared to the ones found in :