PyGate - Recommended error handling techniques

• Hi guys!

I received my PyGate today and have started to read up on things.

My scenario will be a GPY on the PyGate-board, with a WiFi (external) antenna proxying packets from/to The Things Network (TTN). That is, not using the PoE expansion board.

When looking at the documentation (https://docs.pycom.io/tutorials/pygate/) there seems to a lack of error handling... Are there any examples of how to handle these kind of errors:

• Reconnecting to WiFi of the local network glitches
    • Reconnecting to TTN if the WiFi goes down

Or is this already taken care of "under the hood"?

Regards

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• @firemonkey Did you have success with this? I'm having issues where the pygate drops off the network (usually when the router loses power) and it never reconnects.

• While configuring the PyGate I used the following code to make it re-connect to wifi network.

import _thread
    from network import WLAN
    import time

wlan = WLAN(mode=WLAN.STA)
    wlan.antenna(WLAN.EXT_ANT)

def wifi_monitor(delay, id):
        while True:
            if not wlan.isconnected():
                wlan.connect(ssid='AP_NAME', auth=(WLAN.WPA2, "AP_PASSWORD"))
                while not wlan.isconnected():
                    time.sleep(2)
                    print("Waiting for wifi to connect")
                print("wifi connection complete!")
            time.sleep(20)

_thread.start_new_thread(wifi_monitor, (1, 2))
    time.sleep(20)

The idea was to have a dedicated thread monitor if wifi is connected, and if not it would re-connect. The sleep timers selected are arbitrary.

I wrote it due to the PyGate consistently losing wifi connection when running for longer than a day. Using this code it ran for months without any issues.

Hope this helps.

• @kodarn I think you question is still relevant, and nobody replied. Did you make any progress?

• @kodarn Received my Pygate recently as well. I think there is still a big lack of documentation and tutorials for the Pygate. Too bad no one answered this thread. I'm hoping things get better as time passes :)

Pycom on Twitter