LiPo Battery Recommendations that fit in PyCase with Expansion Board 3.0

• Hi there.

Before I go ahead and do my purchase I wanted to hear if anyone had any experience with fitting certain types of LiPo batteries in the PyCase along with the Expansion 3.0 Board and WiPy3?

Cheers.

• @robert-hh said in LiPo Battery Recommendations that fit in PyCase with Expansion Board 3.0:

@jcaron said in LiPo Battery Recommendations that fit in PyCase with Expansion Board 3.0:

if the Pycom devices have reverse polarity protection on the battery connector

Nope, AFAIK

No, I confirmed by mistake, resulting a fried Expansion Board v3.1...

• @jcaron said in LiPo Battery Recommendations that fit in PyCase with Expansion Board 3.0:

if the Pycom devices have reverse polarity protection on the battery connector

Nope, AFAIK

• @Gijs Indeed, it is important to remember that not all LiPo batteries have the same polarities. Most batteries sold for drones and other RC devices using the exact same connector have the reverse polarity from the batteries sold or used by Adafruit, Pycom, etc.

Don't remember if the Pycom devices have reverse polarity protection on the battery connector, but many devices don't. Cue characteristic smell :-/

• The IP67 case should fit an 18650 battery inside, I still want to write some documentation around that, but haven't got any drawings. All pycom boards accept a single cell Lipo battery (nominal 3.7V) and support charging as well (either through USB or USB-C). I'd also like to explain all the push-in tabs of the case and what they're for, but that will have to wait untill I can get my hands on the drawings

For the Pycase, it is possible, but it does not fit a very large battery, and indeed, you'd have to store it under the expansionboard 3.1 (there isn't much room there). I cannot make any recommendations for the battery, but make sure you check the polarity of the connector before plugging it in.

• Looking at the picture on the store page you might be able to fit in a very small flat battery pack but it will be a tight squeeze. Probably not the best idea :)

I have the IP67 case, which is a bit bigger and on the store page you see it featured with a battery on one of the pictures. So I would probably recommend to look at that IP67 case instead of the pycase if you want to add a battery.

BTW, my first impressions of the IP67 case are very good, build quality is very nice. I still have to open some of the gaps so hopefully that goes well. But I actually had the same question as you had :-D
    The IP67 case looks to have a space to fit a battery, but which battery is that? If someone from the pycom team could enlighten us , that would be great :)
    The docs of the expansion board tell the specs of the battery, that much is clear, what I would like to know is which battery form factor makes the best fit in the IP67 case.

cheers
    P

Pycom on Twitter