updating firmware remotely

• we are currently on firmware v1.18.2.r7 because our pycom devices are in remote places not easily accessible. firmware versions above that introduced the littlefs files system which would reformat the flash. We can update firmware remotely but if the files on the pycom were erased from a reformat then the remote device is lost. there will be no code to connect to the LTE much less add the files back that were lost in the reformat. I dont see a possible way to update the firmware with littlefs if you cannot get to a device. Is there a possible way to update to the latest firmware without formatting to littlefs?

• @lmerza said in updating firmware remotely:

r7 because our pycom devices are in remote places not easily accessible. firmware versions above that introduced the littlefs files system which would reformat the flash. We can update firmware remotely but if the files on the pycom were erased from a reformat then the remote device is lost. there will be no code to connect to the LTE much less add the files back that were lost in the reformat. I dont see a possible way to update the firmware with littlefs if you cannot get to a device. Is there a possible way to update to the latest firmware without formatting to littlefs?

Unless its not working or not stable, I would honestly not recommend upgrading the firmware just in case it causes some other issues that would force you to physically retrieve the devices to fix them. From what I have seen, these firmware updates are more than just bug fixes, and could cause more harm than good to a system that is working fine if you aren't able to test and debug it.

Pycom on Twitter